Discolored saddle

What's Hot
10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
edited April 2020 in Acoustics

I just bought a guitar with a badly discolored saddle , its a sort of tan colour ,I've read that it just happens and it has nothing to do with smoking.
I've never seen that before.
 Had to buy a new one , I couldn't live with colour of it ,I believe it to be tusq

https://i.postimg.cc/prX7c2tS/20200409-165657.jpgAnybody else experienced this? 

The top one is the new blank , you can clearly see the colour "tide mark" on the old one.

Edit; I tried cleaning it , even tried some wire wool , no change. 
Maybe I should have tried bleaching it before buying another one ?
I'll try that and post the results, if it works it will be handy to know.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    It was probably unbleached bone. There is a school of thought that it is actually better than bleached bone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Tusq does that. It's UV light damage, you will see the original colour where it was in the bridge.

You can pay a lot of money for mammoth ivory which looks like that!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    edited April 2020
    Yes there is a very distinct "tide mark" I've just posted a pic .

I'll leave the Mammoth ivory for the hipsters.

Changed the rosewood bridge pins whilst I was at it.

Before and after

https://i.postimg.cc/151DDVXt/saddles.jpg

much better

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZJQs2D2/20200412.jpg

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Actually quite liked the rosewood pins and sun damage .... :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 271
    Yes, the TUSQ saddle is prone to yellowing. The material is a proprietary formula but I've heard it contains urea. I once had someone wanting to return a Taylor guitar I sold on eBay in mint condition complaining about the "nicotine stains" on the nut and I'm a lifelong non-smoker who had the guitar from new.

Is it just me or does the new saddle have the optical illusion of appearing to reduce the saddle angle?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    You’re right GTC is does now look shallower now. 
    I too prefer the original but as always, it’s not about me
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I prefer the new saddle but the old pins, because I like to be awkward :).

(Actually because I like the way the old pins match the dark lines in the body figuring.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I bought the new pins on a whim with the saddle ,having just bought the rosewood ones a couple of weeks ago , they look better in the strong light in the pic,but mostly they just blend into the bridge and disappear , I don't know why I expected them to be a touch paler.
    Having said all that,  I may not be done tinkering yet,so they will probably make another appearance.
    Too much time on my hands having been furloughed.
    Also the white saddle and pins go nicely with the pearl buttons I put on the tuners, which  I replaced with some  locking grover mini rotomatics I had laying around. 
    I agree the shape of the new saddle does look different to the old one ,not sure what that's about,  I got the model number online , and didn't notice until I'd unpacked it.
    In practice it seems to make little if any difference though .

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    What Jalapeno said.
    But it's your guitar and your taste that matters.
  • I was just about to point out politely that you probably have too much time on your hands, but you've done it yourself now! My advice would be just play it, bridge pins and saddle discolouration are very much first world problems.