Cover songs that are better than the originals

What's Hot

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Tom Misch's cover of 'Man Like You' by Patrick Watson

Tom's verion:

The original:

Both are great but I think Tom's version has the edge.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I never tire of this one, so I'll post it again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And a more controversial one - I genuinely love this, but I could probably do with more lols ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited April 2020
    ICBM said:
    And a more controversial one - I genuinely love this, but I could probably do with more lols .

I really like that covers album - there are a couple of embarrassing moments, but some great stuff. At the time it was all too easy for the music press to slag off on principle.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    oh_pollo said:
    The original version of 'Betty Davis Eyes' is awful...whoever rearranged it for Kim Carnes should have got a Nobel Prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQsOJbs-yo

vs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5eWh6LYHsQ
    Wow, I don’t think I’d heard the original before. Whilst I’m not going to indulge in ‘better’ that’s certainly a radical reworking. 

Brings this to mind which is another gosh really moment, although this is the song’s writer and I don’t think it was released commercially so arguably the Lauper version is the original:

https://youtu.be/6zeOag2fU3s
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    steven70 said:

I really like that covers album - there are a couple of embarrassing moments, but some great stuff. At the time it was all too easy for the music press to slag off on principle.
    The reviews are by typical smart-arse music journos who thought it was clever and cool to kick Duran Duran. I really like it too, despite as you say a couple of duff tracks. It's so far from 'the worst album ever made' it's laughable - I honestly think it's one of the *best* purely covers albums (OK, discounting Drive By). I love the original of WTD, but Duran make it darker and more 'film noir' somehow, which is just perfect.

• SRV LITTLE WING,sorry jimi.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited April 2020

I was not aware for years that it was a cover, but Going Blind by Kiss was a perfect song for the Melvins to 'heavify' with a cover, and to me it sounds better for it. And thanks also to the Melvins for giving me my forum name.

• ICBM said:
    And a more controversial one - I genuinely love this, but I could probably do with more lols ;).

Birmingham's finest will always get my vote.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Gun:

Cameo:

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited April 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlP3J3J3Upw

vs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3A8uNG3GH4

So, it was close but I think Police & Thieves by The Clash beats out Junior Murvin's version, mainly because I grew up knowing the Clash version before I heard the original. 

Also rans -

Kraftwerk The Model vs Big Black The Model

The Only Ones - Another Girl Another Planet vs The Replacements cover, usually only played live and drunk but typically fantastic.

SRV - I second the earlier post re. Little Wing, but also Voodoo Chile for me over the original.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 618

All songs on that Metallica EP I think sound better than the originals.
    That sent me into the shelves after Garage Inc – I like the cover of Tuesday's Gone on that album.
    edited September 2023
    C
    edited September 2023
    l
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    barnstorm said:

All songs on that Metallica EP I think sound better than the originals.
    That sent me into the shelves after Garage Inc – I like the cover of Tuesday's Gone on that album.
    I was thinking about Garage Inc as well, and good shout with Tuesday's Gone. Loverman, I might say, is better than the Nick Cave version...
    I heard Metallica's version of Stone Cold Crazy before I heard the Queen version, and both rock.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Anything by Bob Dylan does not count as any Dylan song always sound much better if Bob Dylan is not singing it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    phil_b said:
    Anything by Bob Dylan does not count as any Dylan song always sound much better if Bob Dylan is not singing it
    Not quite fair, there are some that he's great on - Knockin' On Heaven's Door is the first one that springs to mind. I actually like his version of Mr. Tambourine Man at least as much as The Byrds version too, not least because they dumped almost all the song...

I do like this one better than his though - it's like she was doing it as the theme from a spaghetti western.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom