Apps to learn piano

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    edited April 2020
    I am using Piano For All from Udemy and amazing myself (and Mrs Keefy) with the progress I am making.

It is very much chord-based and as such is well suited to guitarists.

Full disclosure: I already read music, sight read pretty well on bass, and have previously learned a few piano chords. Even so, consider me chuffed.

Not sure what would be the advantages of the app that the OP is looking for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dhjdhj Frets: 21
    edited April 2020
    Ignore the earlier message - all sorted now. <cryptic>
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    I am taking it easy on the keyboard and have gone through lesson #2 on Udemy's Pianoforall course.  Originally I bought the keyboard, a Yamaha, to understand the notes and how chords were put together.  This knowledge has helped my bass playing but now I feel inclined to learn to play something on the keys.

Piano is hard.  My left hand is more cooperative than my right!  I know it takes time and application to get there but a half hour playing a few basic chords has really taken it out of me.  The 
    Udemy's Pianoforall course appears to be well structured and thought out, based on completing two lessons.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    I decided to give Udemy Pianofor all course a go yesterday afternoon, and am now on lesson 12 so breezing through them quite quickly, mainly because I have been learning by another method for a while, mainly by learning to read the music, but this is such a quick method to learn chords I'm really enjoying it. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    I think the easiest way to learn chords, is lean how they are made up.  You only need to lean each type once( maj, min, 7th, aug etc) and just apply that to the key and inversion you want.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2020
    I just learnt the Key of C/Am and then transpose the keyboard, it saves a lot of hassle for those who want a quick and dirty solution.

I also use this app to help plot various chord progressions, etc..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    Does anyone know if using Udemy is time limited, ie:- Do I have to complete a course within a certain timeframe? or can I spend as long as I want? 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    icu81b4 said:
    Does anyone know if using Udemy is time limited, ie:- Do I have to complete a course within a certain timeframe? or can I spend as long as I want? 
    I hope it is not time limited as I can only spend a short time each week reading up and trying the exercises.  Not the best way to learn how to play but, for the moment, it is all that I can manage.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    How did Udemy do for you all during lockdown? I’m thinking of inviting the whole family to compete as to who can lea4n the piano quickest. Any other apps to recommend?
    lukedlb said:
    How did Udemy do for you all during lockdown? I’m thinking of inviting the whole family to compete as to who can lea4n the piano quickest. Any other apps to recommend?
    I was quite consistent with it till about a month ago. I learned a dozen or so ways to play RH chords against LH bass notes and could bash through some Beatles numbers in an accompaniment sort of way.

Currently a bit bogged down in Lesson 5 - Ballad Style.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I’m looking to get my 5 and 8 year old playing. An arcade version of the op’s original post would be great. I’m sure there is something out there. Anyone know?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Danny1969 said:
    You see the 2 black keys on their own ....... that's the kennel and the dogs in the kennel ..... so D is in between em. That's honestly how I was taught 30 odd years ago and it worked.
    Thanks for that tip! 

Just showed that to my 5 year old and she picked it up straight away. I expanded on that and told her that the Cat is always hiding behind the Dog so she knows where all the Cs are as well. 

How’s the pianoforall course going Raymond and others?

I’m thinking about getting the course for myself.

Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:

How’s the pianoforall course going Raymond and others?

I’m thinking about getting the course for myself.

Stalled a bit over the last month as I temporarily pulled out the stops on learning a load of material on guitar for planned rehearsal. Then Tier 4 happened...

Got back on the piano today :)
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Pianoforall is only £11.99 just now, I'm gonna have to give it a try.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Pianoforall bought. Keys set up in Living Room. Let's see how far I get on this attempt!

https://i.imgur.com/GeYAD9S.jpg
  • MuxMux Frets: 1
    One way I remember or navigate the keys is Chopsticks and Forks.....  Chopsticks  you get two equals the sharps a Fork you get 3  equals sharps  works for me