New Audio Interface

What's Hot
Lockdown has got me jumping on to my DAW again, and as it is whenever I leave it for a while, there's shite-loads of tidying up to be done (licenses, expired software yada yada).

Adding to my woes - it looks like my Zoom UAC-2 (which I really liked) has got some dodgy inputs going on and I might replace it.

I bought it initially because it's the only interface I could find that was USB-3, and 3 is better than 2... Right..?

Honestly, as far as I can see, USB-3 makes bugger all difference.  

So - in the market for a new 1 or 2 channel interface.  Sound quality and low latency for price is what I'm after, rather than oodles of features, probably sub £200.  

What's good at the moment?
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    edited April 2020
    Check out the new SSL interfaces, or the various offerings from Focusrite and Audient.

USB 3 isn't necessarily better than USB 2 if you are using less than, say, 32 channels of IO.
    It is more about the drivers and the latency.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Thanks, the SSL devices I'd never heard of, but they look great.

My DAW is Cubase; I've had a Steinberg interface before, and I wonder if there's any benefit for buying a newer Steinberg interface?  If there's any integration that makes it worthwhile?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    MrBump said:
    Thanks, the SSL devices I'd never heard of, but they look great.

My DAW is Cubase; I've had a Steinberg interface before, and I wonder if there's any benefit for buying a newer Steinberg interface?  If there's any integration that makes it worthwhile?
    They are new- usually SSL sit at the top end of the market.
    I was actually working for them when these were being designed (I had nothing to do with that) and I'm pleased with how they turned out.

They are class compliant, which is a good thing.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2450
    USB 3 makes literally no difference until you get to channel counts that exceed the bandwidth of USB 2. There's no latency benefit to it at all.

The SSL interfaces are nice, the only thing I'd be slightly aware of is that if you like to record very loud things, the maximum input level on the mic pres is quite low. Conversely that means there's a lot of gain available if you want to record quiet things like speech or acoustic guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Audient would be my choice. Probably the id14 in that price range. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    Focusrite 2i2 is a great little box. Plug and play (on a Mac at least).
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3884
    What do people think of the NI Komplete? (Currently bundled with Guitar Rig at GAK)?