Either i'm improving.....or going a little crazy

What's Hot
......but the Mickey Baker book that I bought on The Bay when drunk one evening with the intention of being the next Baker/Joe Pass is starting to make sense!
Found it after tidying the bookcase and thought I'd give it another go whilst on lockdown. OK....some of the chords are a bit of a stretch but I'm always on the lookout for more playable inversions.

Theory in there too....some of which I understand!
At the least it's showing me that there all all sorts of notes and chords past the fifth fret.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15221
    edited April 2020
    I used to have a copy of that tutor book in my late teens and early Twenties. I routinely flunked the chord exercises but, in doing so, my errors became the foundation of some original song ideas. 

some of the chords are a bit of a stretch but I'm always on the lookout for more playable inversions.
    Tip (shamelessly stolen from a magazine interview with Andy Summers): Just because the box diagrams illustrate the fret/string positions that form a given chord shape, you are not compelled to hold all of them down simultaneously.

Summers often refers to note clusters. Break the chord down into simpler fragments.

In the context of a two guitar band, one guitar could take the lower three strings of a chord/scale box whilst the second guitar takes the upper three strings. The resultant cacophony could be Jazz. It could just as easily be High Life or Afrobeat. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15378
    tFB Trader
    @JanekLubanski ;

Robben Ford states that this book is the basis of his jazz/blues based chord work

As @Funkfingers says above  Break the chord down into simpler fragments 

Again Robben Ford states this an Freddie Green played a career of such small chord segments - But this approach then allows you to play melodic inversions across the fingerboard and across all 6 strings

ie   6th fret - G string
          5th fret - D String

use this for A7 - then move both fretted notes down 1 fret and you have D7 ie 5th fret G string and 4th fret D string - Move up 1 fret for E7 ie 7th fret G string and 6th fret D string  - You may already know this - But a simple rhythmic 12 string approach and no movement required

play around with the following on EBG strings

Shape 1  -   5th/E  7th/B   6th/G    then same shape moved down 2 frets  3rd/E  5th/B  4th/G

then  shape 2       9th/E  10th/B    11th/G then same shape moved down 2 frets  7th/E  8th/B  9th/G

then shape 3      14th EBG  then same shape moved down   2 frets  12th EBG

interlink and move around as required - all are a form of A dominant 6/7/9/13th etc and a host of melodic chordal progressions - Horn section style stabs etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15221
    play melodic inversions across the fingerboard and across all 6 strings

Add a few single note twiddles and you’re almost into Atkins/Emmanuel territory.  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15378
    tFB Trader
    play melodic inversions across the fingerboard and across all 6 strings

Add a few single note twiddles and you’re almost into Atkins/Emmanuel territory.  :)
    exactly - makes you sound better than what you are in my case

Easier if no other guitar player or piano player about so no 'dis-chords' against each other - So if you are on your own all such voicing's can work - If with other players than you'll have to be more selective