Installing Firebird pups in a LP Special

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited April 2020 in Guitar
Lockdown boredom - I fancy trying a Firebird neck in an LP special, but I’d like to do it in a way where I could return to stock with no visible mods ..the screw holes that a Firebird ring would leave rule it out (and I assume it would be too low anyway?)

I get that I can mount the pup in a Mini-humbucker ring, but can I make the Firebird pup height adjustable if the mounting screws go into the guitar body wood? (..short spring ‘above the pickup legs and longer spring below or similar?)

Whilst I’m at it, is there a good reason why I can’t find a Firebird with a buzz free neck?

Baz

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7132
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3511
    SunDevil said:
    Lockdown boredom - I fancy trying a Firebird neck in an LP special, but I’d like to do it in a way where I could return to stock with no visible mods ..the screw holes that a Firebird ring would leave rule it out (and I assume it would be too low anyway?)

I get that I can mount the pup in a Mini-humbucker ring, but can I make the Firebird pup height adjustable if the mounting screws go into the guitar body wood? (..short spring ‘above the pickup legs and longer spring below or similar?)

Whilst I’m at it, is there a good reason why I can’t find a Firebird with a buzz free neck?

Baz

Jamie at Creamery Pickups makes a FB pickup which is the same size and screw configuration as a P90 so would drop in direct with no additional plates needed.

If you have Instagram and scroll down it might be there (I don't have Insta but I think I saw it there a while back there on his FB page).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14800
    It should be possible to install a Firebird pickup directly to the body wood, like on a vintage Telecaster.

Either use wood screws narrow enough to pass through the threaded holes in the baseplate lugs or enlarge the holes. Place compressible springs, tubing or a pad between the baseplate and the wood.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    You can buy mini-hb rings that work more like a normal pickup ring.  The have screws in two corners. They make a lot more sense than the traditional design, but the extra screws will bother some

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111205780555

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom