From fingerpicking the plectrums

What's Hot
Hi all!

So I've always been an acoustic finger picker. But I've wanted to branch out and finally get around the learning how to flat pick. Particularly for bluegrass, folk, blues and Country

The main trouble I'm having is support for my right hand when doing lead parts. Im going between resting it on the bridge to anchoring it with my pinky/ring finger but I'm not feeling particularly happy with either.

Because of the style I'm going for I'm trying to play closer to the bridge for the plucky twangy sound. 

I want to be able to happily go between doing lead runs to strumming. The strumming I'm fine with - I let me arm float and I can still pick out the odd string for a hammer on or such.

I'm also unsure of the best way to hold the pick. I've been holding it at a slight angle so it's not hitting the strings perfectly flat and I find that is a lot better but I'd like to hear opinions. 

Thanks guys! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4498
    In terms of the transition from strumming to single note playing, people generally adopt one of two approaches - lightly rest hand on bridge (see Molly Tuttle and David Grier), or uncurl a finger or two from your pick grip and let the finger tips lightly brush the pick guard (see Bryan Sutton and Norman Blake).

Most people hold the pick the same way - imagine you're giving someone in front of you a straight-on thumbs up. Then place the pick on top of your curled up index finger, pointing 90 degrees out to the side, drop your thumb down on top of pick. Address the strings with a relaxed wrist and a slight downward angle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    What Lewy says.  If you look at a Hal Leonard book one for guitar there's a picture showing the players view of exactly this within the first few pages.  I rest my wrist on or near the bridge but whatever works for you.  You might find some useful info and tab at https://www.flatpickerhangout.com/  , the site isn't all that busy these days but if you mouse over "Learn" in the menu on the left you'll find a lot of tabs.  Because of the nature of flatpicking in general a lot of it is country/bluegrass but great for technique building.  I'm a "down/up" picking player myself when I'm playing flatpick style.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom