Acoustic guitar sounds bad

What's Hot
kompass123kompass123 Frets: 0
edited April 2020 in Acoustics
Hi all,
I am a Newbie here (so go easy on me)
Recently bought an acoustic guitar of my friend and have begun to learn basics. 
However, it sounds a twangy and gives a lot of feedback.
I had a closer look and the part of the strings that rest on the Bridge Saddle is breaking apart.
Just wondering if that could be the problem, or it could be something else.
Any help would be much appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u79czqtgy8tlul2/IMG_20200424_180732743.jpg?dl=0
I have attached links to photo of the strings below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u79czqtgy8tlul2/IMG_20200424_180732743.jpg?dl=0
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    Yes, the strings are shot and you also have three nylon strings on there. In short, you need a new set of strings before anything else.
  • It looks like:
    1.  The strings are worn And incorrectly fitted
    2. You need a new set of strings
    3. They need to be fitted properly (because this strings aren’t)
    4. From l to r in your photo you should start with the thickest wirewound string at the left and move ast the thickness of the string diminishes to the thinnest non wire wound string at the right hand side
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited April 2020
    Yes, that's a newbie mistake - although a totally forgivable one so don't be too embarrassed about it!

The guitar is a steel-string guitar, and it has a set of nylon strings on it - they are also fitted in the wrong order .

You need a set of steel strings, with bronze windings - if you're a beginner, I would recommend a set of 10 gauge (extra light) for now, they'll be easier on your fingers. If you need help with fitting them, don't be afraid to ask again, it's not totally intuitive if you've never done it before.

Look on the bright side, you could have got it the other way round - putting steel strings on a nylon-string guitar is a bad idea, if you're not very lucky it will cause serious damage to the guitar.

In fact, there is a reason I am now a guitar repairer... I did exactly that with my first - luckily very cheap - nylon string guitar, and it ripped the bridge off. Now *that's* a newbie mistake .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    From what I can see in the photo that's a steel string guitar so whe you buy a new set  you will need metal strings not nylon 
  • thanks for the advice everyone,
    I will change to steel strings, however, can anyone recommend a decent brand to buy.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4209
    thanks for the advice everyone,
    I will change to steel strings, however, can anyone recommend a decent brand to buy.
    Follow the link in the previous post from @Winny_Pooh   that’s as good a recommendation as any. 
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Yes, D'Addarios are pretty much an industry standard, and although there are others which you may come to prefer you'll never go wrong with those.

Before you start stringing it, there is one big thing that a lot of people get wrong - the pins that hold the strings in do *not* need to be fitted with any great force. The idea isn't to jam them in so hard that they hold the whole tension of the strings - they're meant to push the ball end of the string sideways so it rests under the top of the guitar and all the pin has to do is stop it moving back into the hole. You should need no more than light finger pressure for this.

The ball ends should be where the five are in this pic, not the 4th string which shows how to do it wrong!

Kinking the ball end slightly before you poke it down the hole can help it move sideways as the pin goes in.

Even before that... if you can't get the pins out because they've been jammed in too tight, don't use pliers or any other tools to pull them out - you will chew up the pins and probably the bridge, or even break the head of the pin off. Instead, simply slacken all the strings, put your hand inside the guitar, and push the pins out from the inside - a coin or pick held on your finger tip will make it easier if they're really stuck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom