Osmo White as a guitar finish

What's Hot
Anyone used Osmo White on a guitar body, if so how did you apply it?
Is it quite transparent or does it get more solid with repeated applications?
Considering trying it...
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    No, but I’m following the thread in case anyone has.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    I never tried the ready mix looking at it think it’s designed to show the grain so not sure it would work or how many coats it would take to look solid.

i have made a solid white using oil pain pigment. That took a big amount in the mix and also a few coats to hide grain.

the white Osmon would work well for a junior style wash coat with a tinted grain fill and perhaps an aged osmo top coat colour
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27953
    Roland said:
    No, but I’m following the thread in case anyone has.
    Ditto.

I’ve got a tin of it here, awaiting a suitable project.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    Have you got a link to the one you think is most suitable, there seems to be a few. I'm interested as I have a bare strat I don't know what to do with.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 888
    Just having another look, is it the 3111 white?
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2627
    tFB Trader
    I use various types of Osmo at work..

What I have found is that its good on white woods... On dark woods it mostly dries clear but it can get in to the grain and any knots or stuff like that and it dries white which is really annoying.. So these days generally that's what we do, use the white stuff on light woods and the regular oil amber coloured stuff on dark woods or woods with lots of knots or pipping etc...

In general Osmo oil is pretty good though and works well on most projects... We use a lot of Osmo Raw Top Oil I think its called.
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 509
    The most solid white oil I’ve used is from Hôlzöl, which is really strongly pigmented. To get a white wash you really have to buff it back. Or do a couple of coats to really build it up. Unsure of its durability for a guitar finish, it “just” an oil finish so will probably wear quicker than a lacquer etc. It’s more opaque than Osmo. 

I prefer their furniture oil over Osmo too, it’s harder wearing in my opinion.