Summer cars

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    edited April 2020
    MX5 FTW is you want something simple and cheap. I'm sure there's more fun in a Boxster on a track but I don't believe it on road-based twisties. 

We've done a week in an ND MX5 in Japan twice and it's basically the best thing in the world. I'd go a nice low-mileage NB rather than NC, personally. I’d already have bought one but we only have one parking space and they’re a little too small not to be scary on UAE roads

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I run a '98 Elise largely for trackdays. Glad I managed Donington in Feb and Cadwell in March; it's been languishing in the garage since and I don't know when I'll be able to drive it again. Will there be any more trackdays this year? Feels very frustrating. 

To the OP, I had a Mk 3.5 MX5 before that, the soft top version. Great car, handles and drives well, and problem-free. There was little rust protection though so I suspect they will be of an age now where you'll have to look for rot. If you get one, a suspension alignment is absolutely essential, suspension upgrades are useful. I had stiffer suspension fitted, a different manifold and an ECU remap but for road use exclusively just getting the alignment done on a standard car is probably enough. 

• DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    ICBM said:
    I used to have a Citroën 2CV for this :). Great fun to drive, easy to maintain. Better performance than you would expect with a few minor tweaks too... or at least it felt like it ;).

Best Design Brief Ever .......as given to Henri Citroen ;

"A 4 seat car ,affordable to the average Farmer that can be driven across a newly ploughed field by a man wearing a Top Hat with a box of a dozen eggs on the front seat without breaking one ."

It was the car beloved of every Teacher when I was a kid ........a decent one sells for over £10k now
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    edited April 2020
    I was thinking NC rather than NB for rust reasons (and really good NBs are going up in price). Rust seems to be less of an issue on the NC from what I've heard but I'd be taking a look at the usual spots anyway.

From what I can see the Sport Tech trim gains Bilstein dampers and a front strut brace, and there are a number out there with dealer fitted lowered springs, so for a road car I reckon all that would need done is the alignment and a full fluid change (engine, gearbox and diff oil and coolant) 

I don't need it to be super quick, my daily driver is a Mk3 Focus RS which ticks that box 
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    However ;
    Nothing ,no matter how powerful or beautiful that runs on 4 wheels will ever equal the thrill of 2 wheels .
    On a hot summer day and a good road ahead every carve into every corner ,every twist of the wrist is pure freedom joy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356

‘05 987.1 2.7 Boxster - Have had this for 2 years now. Yes, be aware of the IMS bearing issues, buy wisely and you’ll not regret it. Full porsche history, and last service was a biggie via an excellent indie. Great cars and (thankfully) very under-rated. Looks, handling and noise. On a sunny day with the roof down...a pleasure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Dominic said:
    ICBM said:

Citroën 2CV
    ...a decent one sells for over £10k now
    Largely because all the non-decent ones have long since rusted away, and you’re paying for the cost of a total rebuild, starting with a new chassis.

I stopped driving mine as normal transport when I had kids - just too unsafe to risk in modern traffic conditions - and then it needed some major body welding. I took it apart, and never quite got around to putting it back together! I sold it after about ten years as a project to someone local - it’s back on the road now, I still see it occasionally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    I've had a weekend car since I learned how to drive.
    TR7 DHC with a 4.6l V8
    Lotus Elise S1 49er (gold leaf colour scheme)
    Mini Cooper convertible (actually a really fun little car)
    MG TF 160
    My current car is a Fiat 124 (new one) which underneath is an MX-5 with Fiat engine and bodywork
  • jacksonunitedjacksonunited Frets: 234
    edited April 2020
    I had a 1987 Sierra Cosworth 2wd (i know, 80s boyhood dream thats actually not fast at all by modern standards) that I kept in the garage and only used on sunny days. Despite being immaculate, you never knew what was going to go wrong next. I sold after working out for the previous year that maintenance vs use it had cost me £100 a mile

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited April 2020
    After dicking about with the bottomless pit that was a Maserati 4200 for 6/7 years, this is (now) my only car: works fine as a daily runabout.  Based on the Mazda MX5 chassis, with a spot of Italian design in the body and engine.  Cheap, cheerful and a ton of fun to hoon around in: my Fiat 124 Spider.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    JerkMoans said:
    After dicking about with the bottomless pit that was a Maserati 4200 for 6/7 years, this is (now) my only car: works fine as a daily runabout.  Based on the Mazda MX5 chassis, with a spot of Italian design in the body and engine.  Cheap, cheerful and a ton of fun to hoon around in: my Fiat 124 Spider.

Alas they have stopped making them now. I have the Lusso Plus in Blue.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Axe_meister said:

Alas they have stopped making them now. I have the Lusso Plus in Blue.
    Lovely! Let's see it :)

I think that they're still chopping out the Abarth version: they were when I picked this up used about 10 months ago, but with all the multi coloured bonnets and mirrors and whatnot that all look a bit aftermarket to me, I actually preferred the Fiats... Apparently it's the same engine, just programmed differently so as soon as this one's out of warranty I might look into chipping it.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Currently running a 2012 Freelander 2 for work, done 150k and has a couple of issues but starts every day.

Got a 2D Smart car for £1200 for my other half to do the 3 miles to work.

Had this Merc SLK350 for about 10 years now...been a great car, sounds great, auto box is wicked, probably pretty cheap to pick up nowadays....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    My weekend wheels are a BMW Z4. Only a 2.2 but a fun drive round the roads of Cornwall 
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Had a Boxster for the last 15 years. Worth virtually nothing now but still drives like a fairly new car. Has been very reliable and a lot of fun over that time and certainly not a money pit. Amp(5e3) fits perfectly in the front boot and guitar in gig bag fits in the rear boot. Service history a must when buying. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    As I got some inheritance money, I got a BMW 435 M Sport XDrive last year and I bloody love it - yes it's a bit of a hairdresser's car, but I don't care !   The 3-litre straight 6 makes a fantastic noise (for a diesel). I got it s/h, stuffed with every imagineable option, and as a deisel it was silly cheap.

(not mine pictured)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    His and hers
    Only have the black one now (S Ltd for the MX-5 nerds).

If anybody needs a trim I have the clippers on standby.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    I would always like to have a convertible in the family...

This is the wife's Mini Cooper. Best fun Ive ever had in a car.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2943
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom