What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    That sounds a potential good one :) 

Is it red? :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Hope it's what you're looking for.  Very exciting!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    If I ever have any money (unlikely!) I really want an old TR6 as a summer runaround. Love them.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    JerkMoans said:
    After dicking about with the bottomless pit that was a Maserati 4200 for 6/7 years, this is (now) my only car: works fine as a daily runabout.  Based on the Mazda MX5 chassis, with a spot of Italian design in the body and engine.  Cheap, cheerful and a ton of fun to hoon around in: my Fiat 124 Spider.

I’ve  always thought the Fiat version looks better than the MX5 Mk4. Lovely colour too
    Well I couldn't agree more, and thank you.  Puts a smile on my face a year into ownership, virtually every time I drive it.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    That sounds a potential good one :) 

Is it red? :D 
    Boring silver, but can't have it all ways.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 949
    Just got my first generation VW Golf Cabriolet buffed up and ready to go for the summer.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
    Another victim of Coronavirus! 

The seller phoned me to say he'd just been to get the car out for the first time since lockdown and noticed a slow puncture and the battery had drained!

I'm still going to check it out when he gets it sorted, though I'll invest in a trickle charger and budget for a new battery if I end up buying.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    Took my 124 out for a quick spin today as the battery had drained. It's been sitting for about 4 months now.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    One year to go and the car will be out of warranty, then I can put on a decent exhaust (it is a bit tame for a sports car) and then get it remapped to Arbarth performance levels.
  • One year to go and the car will be out of warranty, then I can put on a decent exhaust (it is a bit tame for a sports car) and then get it remapped to Arbarth performance levels.

... and then wonder why your insurance premium has sky-rocketed.  ;-)
    Provided you're over 30 and the remap is modest (say <20% ) you might be surprised by how little your premium goes up (potentially less than 10%) 

The main things to be sure of is that the engine actually is the same as the higher output one (it might be the same block and head but have forged conrods), and get it remapped by someone sensible.

I've heard of a couple of people had blown piston rings on stage 2 remaps from a particular well known tuner who I won't name who put too much extra torque low down the rev range where it can do damage. Compare that with someone like Litchfield who do a very sympathetic remap.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    JerkMoans said:
    After dicking about with the bottomless pit that was a Maserati 4200 for 6/7 years, this is (now) my only car: works fine as a daily runabout.  Based on the Mazda MX5 chassis, with a spot of Italian design in the body and engine.  Cheap, cheerful and a ton of fun to hoon around in: my Fiat 124 Spider.

What a lovely choice. And loving the grey/tan leather combo...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    JerkMoans said:

Thanks! I’m rather fond of the whole package, too :)

Belting set of Bose speakers in the thing, too \m/
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    edited May 2020
    JerkMoans said:
    Hattigol said:
    JerkMoans said:

Thanks! I’m rather fond of the whole package, too

Belting set of Bose speakers in the thing, too \m/

I'm a big fan of the MX-5 Mk4 but have to concede that your 124 Spider is rather lovely. But build/reliability wise, is it more Fiat or Mazda?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    Am I the only one who thinks the 124 is gopping (apart from maybe the tail lights)?

The ND is a really pretty car and fantastic, cohesive bit of design.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Am I the only one who thinks the 124 is gopping (apart from maybe the tail lights)?

:astonished: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

DiscoStu said:

I'm a big fan of the MX-5 Mk4 but have to concede that your 124 Spider is rather lovely. But build/reliability wise, is it more Fiat or Mazda?
    Well it's about 3 years old now, and I've had it for 12 months.  Thus far nothing has gone wrong with it *touches wood / clutches rabbit's foot, etc*

...in marked contrast to its Maserati predecessor...  I'm just a sucker for Italian design on cars :blush: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Barnezy said:
    Get the Porsche. Sports cars I've owned are Cayman, f25 M5, Aston 4.7 V8 Vanage, 991 and I've driven quite a few super cars. The Cayman is the best drivers car I've ever driven. Boxer will obviously be pretty close to it. Never had a single problem with it in the 18 months I owned it for. IMS is over hyped. You can get it swapped out petentively if you're that concerned. MX5 is likely to have it's own problems too.
    Echoing @Barnezy and @octatonic a 1st gen Cayman S looks like a good buy and possible future classic. Its a superb car. Balanced in every sense (as a drivers car) and it's simply a joy to drive.

I think this review sums it up very well: 

@jerkmoans - lovely barchetta

@jerkmoans - lovely barchetta
    Funnily enough, I had a lhd 'proper' Barchetta in the mid-late 90's.  Red, as per the Rush song.  Had to ditch it when the kids came along...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    The suspension, rear and front subframes, and brakes are shared between both cars. The gearbox on the 124 is actually a Mazda MX-5 MK3 gearbox too.
    The 1.4 turbo engine is all Fiat but has been around for a long time on various Abarth version Fiat 500s so shouldn't be horrendous for reliability either
    The infotainment system is Mazda too I think.