Anyone got or played a Tokai UES78 335 type?

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7223

I won't be able to stretch to the 2020 345, or even the Eastman 486 but fancied something a cut above an Epiphone. 

Anyone got one of these models? If so what do you think? 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 746
    I have one, well Japanese made. I was selling it late last year due to cashflow problems but it didn't sell.

And I am delighted about that.

Mine is in a natural finish with dot inlays and even though I am a Fender player I get on with it really nicely. I find the quality of the hardware to be high and the fit and finish is about as good as it gets for a production guitar. I have it fitted with 10s and it is a warm sounding guitar which I like s a counterpoint to the Strat and Tele. The PAFs may be to your taste or not but I like them.

I have had mine for about two years or so and I have yet to get tired of it. The Japanese built Tokai guitars are definately worth a serious look. The other ranges I am not sure about but I have played a couple of other Japanese builds and a coupe of the Chinese ones and they were fine too, but not in the same league.

So I like Tokai! I have assumed you are talking about the Japanese range though! Correct me if I am wrong!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7223
    I don't think the ES78 is a Japanese one but rather one of the more expensive Chinese ones. 

I imagine the pickups will get swapped out for OX4s or similar at some point down the line as there are Korean cheapies in it as stock. But the natural finish is definitely what I would go for too. 

Thanks for chiming in. 

Or maybe I should hold out and get an Eastman when I can...

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 746
    Ah ok! I have the cheapest Japanese! I think the higher end Chinese made ones should be pretty good, I was under the impression Tokai as a brand had quite decent QC.

I have seen Eastman guitars close up and they do look pretty nice..... Very nice in fact.
    Yeah Eastmans are lovely. And nitro finished unlike the cheaper Tokai 335s. 

But I think it would be a bit of a stretch right now. 

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 497
    I’d always go Korean Peerless for semis unless going for an actual gibson. Here’s mine with a bigsby: https://imgur.com/gallery/IP0NR6i
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh very nice. How's my old Astoria treating you?

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 497
    Really like it but it just doesn’t get used at all... One day