A Little Advice Needed

What's Hot
GrampaGrampa Frets: 1016
edited April 2020 in Acoustics
Been playing electric for just over a year, pretty pleased with progress all things considered. Working away from home, 12 on 2 off, during the C-19 crisis and in very small digs for the days away so picked up a Baby Taylor to keep me amused.

Now to the crux of the matter....The BT holds tuning extremely well, intonation is just about spot on, but it still doesn't sound quite right. Did some online research and came across a couple of posts with owners having the same issue, resolved by placing a Capo on the second fret. Gave it a try, surprised by a big improvement in tone.

The question is, am I doomed to play everything with a capo, or can one of the FB acoustic wizards point me towards a resolution that frees up the whole of the neck whilst keeping the much improved tone?

Thanks in advance, Grampa.

P.S. This is my first acoustic guitar
My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    might be a problem with a poorly cut nut?  maybe get someone to put a new bone nut on....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3126
    edited April 2020
    I bought a brand new Taylor 114ce. It didn’t feel right so I took it to a tech; the nut slots needed filing and the bridge saddle needed to be lowered by sanding it down. Some say they set them high out of the factory to allow for adjustments to personal taste be made. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1016
    edited April 2020
    Hi mgaw and MPD, thanks for the suggestions, appreciated. I know an excellent luthier so will pay him a visit once this C-19 madness is over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    It might also be worth having the nut and probably the saddle replaced with bone ones - more expensive than just having it re-cut, but the stock material is Tusq... some people love this, some don't. I am in the don't camp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1016
    Thanks ICBM, sounds like a plan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom