Bass preamp query for home use? (cheapish)

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
edited May 2020 in Bass
Hi all, stepping back into the bass world in earnest this year, so finishing off some demos at home, and don't have a bass amp. I'd usually use a VST, but looking at some pedal options.
I've been looking at the EHX nano battalion, the ampeg classic preamp, and potentially the palmer one. Don't think the sans amp or regular battalion would be needed for now.

Funnily enough, I saw some people suggest the Behringer BD121.

Palmer has cab sims and headphones etc, so might win out, but I do like the cut of the EHX nano.

Also, I've seen used Hartke Bass Attacks online too which would do the same thing.

What about the Boss Bass Driver? Can that be used straight into a USB interface?

I wouldn't be playing extreme metal, slap, funk etc , pretty much straight ahead pop/rock/indie bass with the odd bit of overdrive.
Any users of the above?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    The Behringer is fantastic for the money, just don't stomp on it too hard!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and if you want to spend a bit more money, I just bought a Fender Downtown Express and really like it.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Oh, and if you want to spend a bit more money, I just bought a Fender Downtown Express and really like it.
    Looks interesting. Wasn't aware of this one.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited May 2020
    Check out the little Valeton unit, 20w, fx loop, headphone, line and speaker outs. Sounds good, I use it as a headphone amp for quiet practice.
    https://www.muziker.co.uk/valeton-tar-20g?gclid=Cj0KCQjwka_1BRCPARIsAMlUmEonFc8p7jEIb1yiY2oOzZroz5NhXNA3foc2AY3Pf7JAD-Co5rOETr8aAgtyEALw_wcB

edit. Whoops, the link shows the guitar version, they do a bass one too, same format.
    Bass model is Tar-20B.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 374
    I was torn between the EHX Battalion and the Fender Downtown, I found the Battalion a bit fiddily to set up, everytime you'd change something, you'd have to adjust nearly every other knob, although I did think it sounded good.

I loved the Fender, and nearly bought it, but decided to get the most out of the VST's I already owned, I'd happily get the downtown if I needed it though. Thought it stood up really well to the Sansamp I tried at the same time.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Tech21 Sansamp 2112 or YYZ, perhaps? Depends on how gritty you were thinking to get.
    Be seeing you.
    JezWynd said:
    Check out the little Valeton unit, 20w, fx loop, headphone, line and speaker outs. Sounds good, I use it as a headphone amp for quiet practice.
    https://www.muziker.co.uk/valeton-tar-20g?gclid=Cj0KCQjwka_1BRCPARIsAMlUmEonFc8p7jEIb1yiY2oOzZroz5NhXNA3foc2AY3Pf7JAD-Co5rOETr8aAgtyEALw_wcB

edit. Whoops, the link shows the guitar version, they do a bass one too, same format.
    Bass model is Tar-20B.
    ooo, interesting. I'll start another thread on combo/mini bass heads, when I get to the gigging stage again. But this could do the trick too. Low wattage, which would be fine too.
    Tech21 Sansamp 2112 or YYZ, perhaps? Depends on how gritty you were thinking to get.
    I noticed a lot of demos go straight into the overdrive. Not sure I’d use a whole lot of it. But having the option in the EHX nano for example would be handy too.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I noticed a lot of demos go straight into the overdrive. Not sure I’d use a whole lot of it. But having the option in the EHX nano for example would be handy too.

Not exactly cheap(ish), though.
    I have a Harley Benton one; I think it's a SansAmp clone-alike.

I can't say what it's like, as I've never got 'round to plugging it in!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    food for though 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23948
    The Tech21 Steve Harris model is amazingly versatile. Harris, Squire, All the way to Jamerson Motown. 
    The Tech21 Steve Harris model is amazingly versatile. Harris, Squire, All the way to Jamerson Motown. 

Not cheap(ish), though.

I've got a couple of SansAmp BDDI and they are my "must-have" pedals (but again, not cheap).

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’ve got a few dozen bass DI pedals and they all do different things reasonably well. There isn’t a “catch all” pedal that does a range of good tones - I tend to use a Helix more than anything for that. I reckon the smaller Helix would be perfect as a bass interface. 

On a side note, the most usable pedal I have for boost, a bit of drive and some really handy tone shaping is a Bad Monkey - it’s superb on bass. Go figure.
    There's a very cheap Hartke Attack on Basschat right now
    Took a punt on a nano battalion so combined with the free amplitude ampeg style vst should cover the home recording / jamming stuff . Thread to follow on amp advice!
    I was debating between the mxr bass preamp and the Xotic RC Bass Booster (this is for pickup boosting and tone shaping rather than DI’ing). Having watched 1001 vids, I went with the RC Bass Booster. Anderson’s have them on offer atm. The mxr is really nice and has a parametric style mid control which makes it a lot more flexible on paper but in a head to head video, it sounded near identical with the RC.
    I think I finally (and definitively) sorted a bass preamp pedal...

I love this pedal, the distortion sound is wonderful; turn the blend control to 8 o'clock and it sounds as if your strings are coated in finest cashmere, a smooth dense hint of fuzziness. I imagine the full size unit allows switching between clean and distortion with a footswitch, while on the Nano you need to manually turn the blend knob but it isn't a problem for me as it lives on a desk in easy reach. The variable positioning of the EQ gives access to a variety of sounds - the black tone controls alter the clean  sound, while Tone acts on the distortion circuit. It's a remarkably well designed bit of kit which allows for the two sounds - dist and clean to run in tandem. It's gorgeous. :)
    JezWynd said:

I love this pedal, the distortion sound is wonderful; turn the blend control to 8 o'clock and it sounds as if your strings are coated in finest cashmere, a smooth dense hint of fuzziness. I imagine the full size unit allows switching between clean and distortion with a footswitch, while on the Nano you need to manually turn the blend knob but it isn't a problem for me as it lives on a desk in easy reach. The variable positioning of the EQ gives access to a variety of sounds - the black tone controls alter the clean  sound, while Tone acts on the distortion circuit. It's a remarkably well designed bit of kit which allows for the two sounds - dist and clean to run in tandem. It's gorgeous. :)
    Please please please please get rid of that rigid jack connector before you break your Battalion and/or Ricochet.
    JezWynd said:

Please please please please get rid of that rigid jack connector before you break your Battalion and/or Ricochet.
    I've never had a problem with them, provided each pedal is a perfect match, otherwise, see left.