Fretboard's DAW of choice is......

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4992
    Dopesick said:
    Anybody know of any good DAWs for the iPad other than GarageBand? I’m still what you would call a beginner but I’ve pretty much mastered the beat sequencer creating my own drum patterns for song ideas and then recording over with guitar. Just wondering if there were any others I should take note of? I’ve noticed Cubasis but don’t really want to spend fifty quid on that just yet,
    I also have Multitrack DAW from Harmonic Dog. I like it. Low footprint and some nice things that show it was built for a tablet. Great for field recordings on my phone with an MV88 mic. It's only for audio recording. There's no MIDI.  I prefer it over Garageband for that, but you can still send the WAV files somewhere else afterwards. If you want to have software instruments or drums then you'll need Audiobus or AU/IAA to connect other apps up with it.  Audiobus integrates well. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    Dopesick said:
    Anybody know of any good DAWs for the iPad other than GarageBand? I’m still what you would call a beginner but I’ve pretty much mastered the beat sequencer creating my own drum patterns for song ideas and then recording over with guitar. Just wondering if there were any others I should take note of? I’ve noticed Cubasis but don’t really want to spend fifty quid on that just yet,
    I would steer clear of Cubasis 3 anyway. I have it, it’s going to be great, but right now there are still too many stability issues. Cubasis 2 is cheaper and better but that’s not the future. My recommendation is to go with GarageBand and if you are new to it, spend about 10 quid on the Groove 3 GarageBand for iOS course. - it’s brilliant and will have you up and running in no time.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Cheers guys. Yeah tbh GarageBand is pretty much supplying me with everything I need to get new tracks written. Just wondering if there was a way to get more drum sounds? I downloaded the (somewhat hidden) ones that come with GB but is there a way to get anymore? A company called Ugritone do a myriad of different drumkits catering to different genres but not sure if they’re iPad/GarageBand compatible.
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    You can use 3rd party AUv3 plugins - I have Drum Session for example which is free. But it depends what you want - I find that the Drummer app which is integrated in GarageBand is brilliant. Sure, it may not have the widest pallet of different drum sounds, but the ability to create interesting and appropriate patterns easily is second to none. There is no Session Drummer 3 equivalent in iOS land, but I’m ok with that. To really refine a production, I think you need to switch to a desktop DAW. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6286
    The first DAW I used was Cubase, sometime in the mid to late 90s. I think I then got a version of Cakewalk with soejmthing and never looked back. I also used FruityLoops back then when it was little more than a loop player, and the other thing I was into was ReBirth. Also remember doing lots of tracks with Acid, which had the marvellous benefit of being able to tempo sync. I'd chop audio up in soundforge, then use Acid to record.

Cakewalk/Sonar - up til about 6 or 7 years ago, I worked completely in audio. No midi whatsoever.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Studio One certainly looks the job, but you need the Pro version for ReWire/VSTs etc - more expensive than Logic Pro. 

I'd be careful of the rental models as it's nearly 2x the cost.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2510
    edited May 2020
    Jalapeno said:
    Studio One certainly looks the job, but you need the Pro version for ReWire/VSTs etc - more expensive than Logic Pro. 

I'd be careful of the rental models as it's nearly 2x the cost.
    You can just purchase the add-on for the Artist version that allows VSTs. Cheaper than getting the PRO version.

EDIT: ....but still an extra cost on top of the Artist version of course. (Incidentally - they refunded me for the second accidental purchase of Artist, when I realised I already owned it as part of an OEM package!).
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2111
    Can anyone tell me if stems or complete multi track songs can be exported from GarageBand ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    spark240 said:
    Can anyone tell me if stems or complete multi track songs can be exported from GarageBand ?
    Nope, you need Logic for that.
    You can bounce the song out with each track soloed though- it just takes a long time to do it.
    Make sure you disable any automation on the master when you do.
    octatonic said:
    spark240 said:
    You can bounce the song out with each track soloed though- it just takes a long time to do it.
    Ok Thanks, someone wanted to send me some GB stems to remix, but he / I couldn't figure it out ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    octatonic said:
    spark240 said:
    Ok Thanks, someone wanted to send me some GB stems to remix, but he / I couldn't figure it out ;-)
    Just have him send the Garagband session file.
    Logic can open them up and you can mix it from there.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    Grim.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    I must say, Im pretty new to DAW and recording.... the Reaper help videos are amazing. Really really helpful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    spark240 said:
    octatonic said:
    spark240 said:
    Yeah but I dont have Logic , Im Studio One....what if he uses Reaper....is that easier to export tracks?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 

Philtre said:
    Grim.
    What is....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:

Philtre said:
    Grim.
    What is....
    I think he's making a Reaper joke... Grim Reaper?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

spark240 said:
    octatonic said:
    spark240 said:
    octatonic said:
    spark240 said:
    Yeah but I dont have Logic , Im Studio One....what if he uses Reaper....is that easier to export tracks?
    PM me and I'll arrange for him to send me the session file, I'll stem it out for you.
    @octatonic - very kind...Ill ask him send the file, does he just send the Garageband song file ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    @octatonic - very kind...Ill ask him send the file, does he just send the Garageband song file ?
    Yes, he might need to use a file transfer service if it is too large.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    octatonic said:
    spark240 said:

Philtre said:
    Grim.
    What is....
    I think he's making a Reaper joke... Grim Reaper?
    Er, yes. Had to be done.