Refinishing my PRS Soapbar - what colour?

What's Hot
cm01cm01 Frets: 486
edited May 2020 in Guitar
So I have a great MK1 SE Soapbar that I love, but I’m not fussed on the sunburst finish at all ... I’m thinking of refinishing it and maybe adding a humbucker the bridge, but I can’t decide what colour to go for - I’m torn between a solid colour - Pelham Blue or TV Yellow - and a sparkle finish - either silver, blue or red sparkle... help please! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I wouldn't go for TV yellow personally, just because it would look like it was pretending to be a Les Paul Special. It's got its own cool thing going on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14771
    DeeTee said:
    Les Paul Special
    Traditionally, on Gibson Special models, the plastic parts are black.

IMO, the quickest and simplest way to improve the look of the PRS SE would be to change the pickup covers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    I'd take the pelham blue option - partly as it looks so cool and partly then it is not trying to pretend it is something it isn't - Not sure if you are undertaking your own mods etc or farming it out - You'll be spending a bob or two on such a project and not getting any return, 'capital wise' but hopefully something that is customised to your needs - I bet many of us have undertaken such projects based on our hearts and not wallet - Enjoy
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    Orange sparkle ;)

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1959
    Looks great as is!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Orange sparkle ;)

I was going to say Candy Tangerine, similar vibe 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73061
    IMO, the quickest and simplest way to improve the look of the PRS SE would be to change the pickup covers.
    This.

I happen to have a pair of black covers if you want them. Not just saying that to sell them ;) - they're not worth enough for it to matter.

But of your colour choices I'd go with Pelham Blue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Lodious said:
    Looks great as is!

I like it too.
    If anything I'd give it a slightly mat finish and swap pickup covers. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1069
    Stick a Firebird pickup in the bridge for a bit of Neil Young.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Surely a goldtop?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Checkout my Tomato Ketchup burst refinish of a very dull PRS SE Korina

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    You'll be spending a bob or two on such a project and not getting any return, 'capital wise'
    The price of a professional respray will be most of the way to the cost of a pre-owned PRS SE Chris Robertson model. 

cm01 said:
    maybe adding a humbucker the bridge
    P90-sized humbuckers are available from DiMarzio, TV Jones and Seymour Duncan. I have one of the latter’s Custom Shop “JB90” models that I ought to decide whether to keep or sell.

I have a couple of cheap but fairly decent Firebird pickups for sale if this idea sounds interesting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cm01cm01 Frets: 486
    Cheers all ... I was thinking of doing it myself but I know how hard it is to get a decent finish.

I’ve got a set of black covers so I think I’ll swap them over and see how it looks before I decide, but I’m liking the orange sparkle idea!
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 486
    It’s amazing the difference a set of pickup covers can make ... decided not to mess with it after all 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Very classy.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Very nice indeed!

I'd still be tempted to take a bit of the shine off the gloss. Not relic just soften the shine all over. There was a blog someone posted ages ago about a guy doing it to an lp copy and it looked really good (maybe someone remembers?). Involved scotchbrite or something and a mouse sander and a lot of time!
    I done it to a squier strat and that went from cheap and nasty looking to actually quite cool even though I probably rushed it a bit. Felt better too.
    It's a big messy job though!!
    cm01 said:
    It’s amazing the difference a set of pickup covers can make ... decided not to mess with it after all.
    It looks perfect now :).

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    Looks like a decent piece of wood , seems a shame to hide it......... know what I mean ?   =) 

10thumbs said:
    a decent piece of wood
    Slab o’ mahogany, stud-mounted fixed bridge, two P90 pickups and a fat neck. Crude but extremely effective.  :)

cm01 said:
    It’s amazing the difference a set of pickup covers can make
    PRS SE series plastic parts tend to be generic SE Asian offerings. 

On current SE Custom models, the humbucker surrounds are black, neck = 1.5mm tall, bridge = 3mm tall. On most colour finishes, these guitars look better with cream surrounds of equal height - like their American-made equivalents. 

ICBM said:
    I have a couple of cheap but fairly decent Firebird pickups for sale
    Twin ‘bird ‘buckers, mounted via those Wilkinson mini humbucker surrounds, would be a good idea on all-mahogany guitars. Individual volume controls per pickup would assist with blended tones when both pickups are selected.