Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3615
    Offset said:
    Guys, bit of a steer needed here - I'm sure this has been covered previously (so apologies)... I need a good tech in the Cotswolds to sort out a couple of guitars for me.  I live in Cirencester and nothing much around here. Any recommendations gratefully accepted.
    Not quite the Cotswolds but Dave Smart in Oxford, on the west side of town  (just off the A420) has done a couple of great setups for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11305
    drofluf said:
    Offset said:
    Guys, bit of a steer needed here - I'm sure this has been covered previously (so apologies)... I need a good tech in the Cotswolds to sort out a couple of guitars for me.  I live in Cirencester and nothing much around here. Any recommendations gratefully accepted.
    Not quite the Cotswolds but Dave Smart in Oxford, on the west side of town  (just off the A420) has done a couple of great setups for me.
    Many thanks, I'll check him out.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    Looking for a reccomendation for a refret on a les paul near Reading, anyone? Thanks
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    edited July 2021
    ftumch said:
    Looking for a reccomendation for a refret on a les paul near Reading, anyone? Thanks
    No personal experience, but Mick Johnson has been the go-to guy round these parts for a number of years:  https://www.mickjohnsonguitars.com/

Also Richard Pilkington did an excellent repair job on my mate's Explorer: http://readingguitarrepairs.com/
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• looking for a recommendation for a refret near Weybridge, Surrey
  • Martin-CMartin-C Frets: 8
    edited August 2021
    Just wanted to add a shout out for Jon Dickinson, who has done some first-rate set-ups for me and provided sound advice into the bargain dickinsonamps(dot)com
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    Big shout out for Richard at Electrohill, Palmers Green / Enfield, North London

He doesn't do as much gear retail now, but he does repairs for guitars and amps. I was able to get some EL84 from him not long ago. I'll be going to him for a refret at some point.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    For me, it was CCGX of Hampton Wick. My Martin HD-28 Reimagined had been to tech after tech and I was on the verge of selling it but I decided to give it one last try. I booked her in and they arranged collection. I decided on a Plek setup. It wasn't cheap but Kim Rogers there did a job that blew me away. I now love this guitar. If I have to travel, she goes too. I'd recommend CCGX to anyone. 
    Others I can recommend are The Guitar Repair Workshop (Salford) and North worthy Guitars (Derby) :) 

• Shout out for Chris at Guitar Mania Poole.

Took my old Strat in today to get 2 pickups swapped out and a pot replaced . He came in under the original quote , had it back to me within 2 hours and found that the pot that I assumed needed replacing was the original pot but it had been refitted incorrectly so sat too high.

• apologies if already answered but does anyone know a good guitar tech around devizes wiltshire? 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• G4peiG4pei Frets: 7
    richardbartram.com - Richard is a top guitar luthier, very humble but builds and repairs guitars for major artists as well as small local repairs and set ups. Highly recommended. Based in Ely, Cambridgeshire
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    edited December 2021
    I just wanted to add my positive experience @Feline this afternoon. I had an adjustment on my Rickenbacker done while I waited. Very reasonable table rates and very friendly guys. I know I'll be back.
  • JT96 said:
    Can anyone recommend a luthier in Sheffield? I’m looking at having my Martins fitted for some pickups with some drilling involved, very cautious of accidentally handing it to a cowboy with the money I’ve spent already!

I know you posted this a while ago, but for anyone looking in Shefield/South Yorkshire I recommend Ozzy Owl. Here's his site with a  breakdown of some of the work he's done:

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 835
    I wholeheartedly recommend David Robinson in County Durham.

Last year he transformed my Ibanez AM93 into something magical and beautiful to play ... last week I bought a Gibson LP Trad that he'd overhauled and set up correctly ... I mean perfectly (better than Gibson's spec). It sounds astonishing; I've never heard or played anything this good.

David is really straightforward and easy to work with and very focused on 'you' ... and all-round good guy with a gift.

You can contact him via this email:
    heartandsoulguitars@btinternet.com
    @stufisher ; sounds good. Thanks for sharing :+1:
  • JamesOB1JamesOB1 Frets: 20
    edited January 2022
    Looking for recommendations for someone within an hours drive of York that could do a refinish on a PRS DGT? Basically the finish is terrible, has loads of lacquer spots and cracks and you only need to look at and it gets a ding. It’s a solid black finish, which I hope will make it more straightforward. Any help will be gratefully accepted. 

PS the guitar in question is in my profile pic. 

Thanks
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 268
    stufisher said:
    I wholeheartedly recommend David Robinson in County Durham.

Last year he transformed my Ibanez AM93 into something magical and beautiful to play ... last week I bought a Gibson LP Trad that he'd overhauled and set up correctly ... I mean perfectly (better than Gibson's spec). It sounds astonishing; I've never heard or played anything this good.

David is really straightforward and easy to work with and very focused on 'you' ... and all-round good guy with a gift.

You can contact him via this email:
    heartandsoulguitars@btinternet.com
    Where in Durham? 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 835
    David is based just North of Crook, so approximately the middle of County Durham and easy access from all directions.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
    Hi guys, looking for someone to do a small fret level, polish and setup near High Wycombe. Any recommendations?