We now have....

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27427
    edited August 2013

Don't recall either.

But you're right - I've been thinking that we should (soon - give it a week or two to bed-in) enlist some mod helpers and probably have a sticky somewhere that states who the mods are, and who the admins are.  We had lots of pledges of help.

Given that the admins are the overall controllers of the site, we might make those into elected positions - it's "by us, for us" and so should probably be "managed by us" too.  Something to think about in back-of-mind over the next few weeks ... although you & Monqui are probably stuck with the techy admin roles for ever.  And ever.  And ever ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Good point. 
    I was also thinking it might be worth having an admin e-mail address somewhere as people still seem to be falling flour of the spam filter. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    All jokes about power crazed maniacs aside... I don't think we need any 'mod helpers' really.  There's virtually nothing for the mods to do, never mind helpers.  Also... is it not possible to have the roles listed under the avatars like we had at MR ?

I want 'Special Mod' on mine.

In gold.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    tFB Trader
    Ideally I'd like to avoid anything saying how super special people are in their post headers for the same reason we don't have post counts. 
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    It does bring up a small point - there's no way for people to know who's an admin/mod and who isn't. Since the rules specifically instruct people to contact the admin team as a last port of call for disputes, that's a bit of a problem. I can't remember if we discussed it or not...?
    I thought the admins and mods would show up in the users online, by displaying their username (dependant on group) in a different colour, but that's not the case. Would be handy imo.

But in a couple of weeks, we'll have thousands of members.  Thousands.  Maybe more.

I'm extrapolating from our experience on day 1.

We had lots of offers of help.  I'd like to engage more of the volunteers in helping as and when we need it.  Share the burden.  But we should see how it goes over the next couple/few weeks - no point having everyone who joins becoming a mod as well.

Thousands of users ...

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    edited August 2013
    TTony said:

Don't recall either.

But you're right - I've been thinking that we should (soon - give it a week or two to bed-in) enlist some mod helpers and probably have a sticky somewhere that states who the mods are, and who the admins are.  We had lots of pledges of help.

Given that the admins are the overall controllers of the site, we might make those into elected positions - it's "by us, for us" and so should probably be "managed by us" too.  Something to think about in back-of-mind over the next few weeks ... although you & Monqui are probably stuck with the techy admin roles for ever.  And ever.  And ever ...

Yeah...in terms of tech stuff, there's one hard-and-fast-rule - I'm not going to let anybody loose on my server unless I trust them implicitly. In fact, monquixote is the only exception I can remember, ever ;)

I actually don't think we really need to make the admin status into an election; we've got a good team already, who work together well. I've never really come across a tech/design/admin team which worked particularly well when voted for by people who don't know what's involved; to my mind, this is definitely a case where a benevolent dictatorship works better than a democracy.

Good point. 
    I was also thinking it might be worth having an admin e-mail address somewhere as people still seem to be falling flour of the spam filter. 
    Good idea. We'll need to make MX record changes, which could be awkward given the shit-pit that seems to be the domain registrar's control panel and support team (I still can't apply DNS changes). I suppose an alternative would be to run a light mail server on the web server, but I've never been to enamoured of that idea. I'll think something up.

Emp_Fab said:
    All jokes about power crazed maniacs aside... I don't think we need any 'mod helpers' really.  There's virtually nothing for the mods to do, never mind helpers.  Also... is it not possible to have the roles listed under the avatars like we had at MR ?

I want 'Special Mod' on mine.

In gold.
    I'm inclined to agree. Well, apart from the "Special Mod" bit. How about just "Special"? :D
    <space for hire>
    Ideally I'd like to avoid anything saying how super special people are in their post headers for the same reason we don't have post counts. 
    OK, how about a non-code-based solution - create a category called "Forum Info" or something, then put the rules in it along with the moderator and admin lists? As long as there's something people can refer to, that should be sufficient.
    <space for hire>
    AND I would like one each of the "five hundred" badges that appear to have been plundered from the badge cupboard by Ttony, digitalscream, ddlooping and sporky and monquixote.  Talk about eliteism !

Medal medal medal medal.....

Relinquish your ill-gotten swag - or - let me loose in the badge cupboard.  My egalitarianism is flexible. $-)
    Emp_Fab said:
    AND I would like one each of the "five hundred" badges that appear to have been plundered from the badge cupboard by Ttony, digitalscream, ddlooping and sporky and monquixote.  Talk about eliteism !
    There you go. Never let it be said that I'm not generous.
    <space for hire>
    edited August 2013
    Emp_Fab said:

Medal medal medal medal.....

Love it.

\/  \/  \/

500 Facepalm !!!!!  You utter, utter bastard !!!!!!!!

Made me laugh out loud so much the dog thought I was going (more) mental !
    edited August 2013
    Emp_Fab said:
    500 Facepalm !!!!!  You utter, utter bastard !!!!!!!!

Made me laugh out loud so much the dog thought I was going (more) mental !
    I'm a techie. You have to be more specific with your requirements :D

Right, more seriously...I'll remove the fret boost I put on everybody in the admin team in a bit (unless there are any objections), but we do need to figure out a way for members to identify the admin and mod teams to support the whole "transparency" thing.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    Yeah, that was a half-joke by me just for the giggles - Nick got 1000, the rest of the initial dev team got 500. It was actually the result of me playing a bit when I was asked to remove some pre-launch facepalms. Sporky asked me to remove his extras, so I guess I should remove them from everybody's. 

Well, I thought it was funny... :D
    It was, and I don't mind other people having them at all.

A locked section that contains the user names of the mods and admins and the banlog and thread deletion log sounds a good idea.

I'd also like to remind everyone of the moderator rules (which also applky to admin use of mod powers) - whenever you do anything to someone else's post, note in the thread that you've done it please, even if it's a good-cop thing like fixing a link or removing duplicate posts. No matter how minor it was. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

I'd also like to remind everyone of the moderator rules (which also applky to admin use of mod powers) - whenever you do anything to someone else's post, note in the thread that you've done it please, even if it's a good-cop thing like fixing a link or removing duplicate posts. No matter how minor it was. :)
    Good point I've fixed some links without mentioning it.
    Sporky said:

Good point I've fixed some links without mentioning it.
    Me too. Oops.
    <space for hire>
    I'll remove the fret boost I put on everybody in the admin team in a bit (unless there are any objections).

No objection here.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    It's not something I'm grumpy about, so don't worry if you've done anything. I just think it's a good idea to get into the habit. On the one hand it's about openness and transparency, and on the other it shows that, like the Yellow Pages, we're not just here for blocked drains.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Right, there you go - we're all dumb again ;)
    <space for hire>
    In other news, related to the OP, we're still getting new signups; I just persuaded Jaden Rose to sign up, so hopefully he'll put some of his workshop diaries up here. That should get us some traffic too :)
    <space for hire>