Home working background tunes

What's Hot
For those of us working from home (total respect to those who are not, can't, and essential workers) Working at home now, I always have some tunes on, there are so many great DJ mixes on youtube to explore, and DJ's are releasing mixes like crazy at the moment seeing as they can't do much else. Usually something relaxed or hypnotic, music that's in the background and does not take over, in an attempt to keep me focused on work! At the moment it's techno, dub techno, deep house, ambient etc. I find 'regular' songs or bands playing, lyrics etc a bit too distracting for work, though I might play some rock at the end of the afteroon. 

This is my current favourite. stunning music and setting, incredible:

A newly discovered genre for me: Dub Techno:

And this for something harder, from a channel that has a ton of great DJ mixes filmed in what looks like a public toilet?! 

Anyway they will not be everyone's cup of tea but we all listen to completely different things while working, what's working for you?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 545454545454 Frets: 184
    I'm the same that work music needs to be something that won't distract too much, but blocks out everything else. I'll give that Loffler mix a go this afternoon, sounds like it might be right up my street.

Recently I've had this Nightmares on Wax set on an awful lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q692lHFaLVM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    I like me some Lo-Fi Jazzhop mixes just oodling away in the background.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Nice, both added to my playlist.

Here's another chilled out hip hop thing from France

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    I like listening to an internet radio station called Chilltrax. Not too obtrusive, so great for focusing on work.
  • I've said it before, but if I'm writing I need something with no lyrics, so I like 
    Russian Circles, Pelican and Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster (Drew's band). 
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    545454 said:
    I'm the same that work music needs to be something that won't distract too much, but blocks out everything else. I'll give that Loffler mix a go this afternoon, sounds like it might be right up my street.

Recently I've had this Nightmares on Wax set on an awful lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q692lHFaLVM
    The Sama set on there is brilliant. Just gets a bit annoying with the ad breaks but can't moan too much about great free music! 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    edited May 2020
    If you like listening to mixes - this is my daughter's most recent mix which went out on a local Edinburgh radio station.

https://www.mixcloud.com/ehfm/little-missions-060520/

I like to think some of my influence on her lingers on - a little bit of A Silver Mt Zion in there - I taught her well. Haha
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Interesting thread to check out. I often have music in the background, even in the office in London. My main thing these days is Smooth jazz live concerts. Too mellow for many people but for me it's ideal to work to - Casiopea, the Square, Fourplay, Larry Carlton etc
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    SomaFM - https://somafm.com/ - a streaming radio station with many, many channels including this favourite:
    SF 10-33 - https://somafm.com/sf1033/ - Ambient music mixed with the sounds of San Francisco public safety radio traffic.
    SomaFM even has its own mobile app. Highly recommended.

Then for individual recommendations:

Banco de Gaia - Kincajou (Duck!Asteroid mix)
    Thomas Fanger & Mario Schönwälder - Analog Overdose - several albums'-worth of electronic ambience
    Thomas Fanger & Mario Schönwälder - Frankfurter Allee (featuring German guitarist Lutz Graf-Ulbric)

And yet more ...
    Klaus Schulze - Mirage
    Woob - 1194
    Biosphere - Dropsonde
    Brian Eno's 'Music for Airports'
    Tim Hecker - Harmony in Ultraviolet
    Terry Riley - A Rainbow in Curved Air

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    Bizarrely I've been listening to a fair bit of nu metal and grunge to get me through the working days. I find the instrumental stuff distracts me more than something with a bit more going on. Plus I'm swearing a lot so Limp Bizkit is suiting me. Getting most plays are them, Rage against the machine, Soundgarden, nine inch nails. I drew the line when it suggested Linkin Park though, thank goodness.

Normally I listen to indie and folk, for context as to why it's weird I've suddenly switched to that kind of stuff
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Keep the recommendations coming guys

I have to have instrumentals to work to. Vocals distract me

When I'm looking for something more chilled I go for
    Selected Ambient Works by Aphex Twin
    Boards of Canada
    Tycho
    Com Truse
    Autechre
    Go Go Penguin
    The Portico Quartet
    Khrangbin

Heavier Rockier stuff
    Mogwai
    Russian CIrcles
    TNBD
    Metroid Metal
    Toska

• It's Friday afternoon, I've had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and I need something upbeat to keep me going. This mix of Detroit techno is certainly doing the job:

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3023
    edited January 2021
    Well 7 months later I'm still listening to home working tunes.

For long parts of the working day 've settled on mixes by a Japanese producer/Dj of progressive/trance tunes, Shingo Nakamura. It's the right balance of being interesting but not too prominent, allowing for full concentration on work, but giving a feeling of positive forward momentum. Calm, focussed, pleasant and positive!

https://youtu.be/WYp9Eo9T3BA

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701

Any background music distracts me. Worst example: I’m sitting in a sales meeting with a US company. They’ve got background music throughout their offices. So I’m trying to concentrate on the negotiation, and my brain is going “this is the second chorus, get ready for the big solo”.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:

Any background music distracts me. Worst example: I’m sitting in a sales meeting with a US company. They’ve got background music throughout their offices. So I’m trying to concentrate on the negotiation, and my brain is going “this is the second chorus, get ready for the big solo”.
    I tend to avoid music with 'proper' songs and choruses etc for this purpose. I've listened to background music whilst working for years.... it may have started when revising for GCSE's and A-Levels, I always had something on in the background, be it Radio 1 or Indie albums. In the office (back in the day) I use earphones when needing to concentrate, to block out background distractions. If it's the right kind of music, not to prominent or distracting, often instrumental or electronic, it helps a lot with my concentration. Probably has the same effect as classical music. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Well 7 months later I'm still listening to home working tunes.

For long parts of the working day 've settled on mixes by a Japanese producer/Dj of progressive/trance tunes, Shingo Nakamura. It's the right balance of being interesting but not too prominent, allowing for full concentration on work, but giving a feeling of positive forward momentum. Calm, focussed, pleasant and positive!

https://youtu.be/WYp9Eo9T3BA

I'm playing this now, works for me!

This has been my favourite background work music of the past year, Casiopea vs the Square live:

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3685
    edited January 2021
    ewal said:
    If you like listening to mixes - this is my daughter's most recent mix which went out on a local Edinburgh radio station.

I like to think some of my influence on her lingers on - a little bit of A Silver Mt Zion in there - I taught her well. Haha
    Enjoyed that; @ewal ;; you have influenced her well.

Is the tracklist available anywhere?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    It's Friday afternoon, I've had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and I need something upbeat to keep me going. This mix of Detroit techno is certainly doing the job:

That was rad
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    drofluf said:
    ewal said:

Enjoyed that; @ewal ;; you have influenced her well.

Is the tracklist available anywhere?
    @drofluf Glad you enjoyed it - here's a screenshot of the track-listing - hope this works. She's got another similarly eclectic mix going out on EHFM next week. Assume it will be shared via EHFM mixcloud afterwards.

https://i.imgur.com/9OeLP26.png
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3685
    Thanks @ewal ;