Reaper: virtual MIDI keyboard + mapping items names

My Google-fu has failed me.

Using the VMK with MT Power Drumkit to start trying to suss out "how drums work" and add some beats to some tracks (and yes @markblagdon, when I have somestuff that's actually mostly in time all the way through I'll send you the stems to get real drums added :) ).

I've got the basics sorted - add the midi track, show the keyboard, record something, get the midi editor up, import the name file etc. etc.

But what I'd really like is for "Kick", "Snare" etc. to show on the appropriate keys on the VMK as well as the shortcut key, so that when I'm actually trying to play in something, rather than do it all with point + click in the midi editor, I don't also have to memorise which key gets me which sound.

Is that possible?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5687
    @pintspiller Nope, I've got that bit. It's when you come back out of the midi editor and go back to the main track/recording view and have the Virtual Keyboard up to start off another section, that doesn't take the note names that have been applied to the piano roll in the midi editor.

It's possible that I might just be over-complicating things, and that actually mostly all I need to know is "Z = Kick" and then set up an appropriate length of track and do the rest with the mouse in the editor, but ...
    And after an hour or two talking to an actual drummer and adjusting stuff today, I've decided it doesn't actually matter, because once the initial track is available everything else gets done on the piano roll, particularly as I am very much learning how the heck drums 'work' having always just relied on actual drummers to worry about that stuff.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1012
    Looks like you'll just have to print them off or memorize them

Z -

C2 Kick

S -

C#2 Side-Stick

X -

D2 Snare

D -

D#2 Snare

C -

E2 Snare

V -

F2 Tom Low

G -

F#2 Hi-Hat closed

B -

G2 Tom Low

H -

G#2 Hi-Hat half open

N -

A2 Tom Mid

J -

A#2 Hi-Hat open

M -

B2 Tom Mid

Q -

C3 Tom Hi

2 -

C#3 Crash L

W -

D3 Tom Hi

3 -

D#3 Ride

E -

E3 China

R -

F3 Bell

5 -

NONE

T -

G3 Splash

6 -

NONE

Y -

A3 Crash R

7 -

A#3 Crash R stopped

U -

NONE

I (i) -

C4 Hi-Hat open

9 -

C#4 Hi-Hat half open

O (oh) -

D4 Hi-Hat closed

0 (zero) -

D#4 Hi-Hat closed

NONE

F4 Hi-Hat Pedal

Thanks - that'll help with getting the initial stuff in.