Recording/Monitoring help

What's Hot
So today I plugged in my newly acquired Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen to my  iMac. 
Went to preferences and set the audio input and output as the 2i2. 

Plugged in my Kemper (mono) - plugged the guitar into the Kemper - plugged in my monitor headphones into the Scarlett and did a test run. All good..

I opened up 2 new tracks, 1 for a WAV fle which I imported and the other for the Kemper. 
I can hear the Kemper signal but not the backing track/music. I seem to get a clicking type noise if I isolate to just the backing track.
If I plug the headphones into the iMac and set the output as iMac, I can hear the backing music but no Kemper.. 

Am I doing something wrong or is it not possible this way with headphones and I need separate monitors to hear both? 

I'm pretty new to recording setups, hence the post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jacklawteyjacklawtey Frets: 303
    Did you change the input and output to your 2i2 inside of your DAW also? Also, do you have some kind of input monitoring selected in the 2i2 software? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8057
    Google "input monitoring" and your DAW name.

How did you inport the WAV?
    Are you drag/dropping a 16bit 44.1khz file into a session that is setup at 24bit 48khz for example?

Back to basics : 
    Is the Kemper track's  "Solo" button armed? That will mute all else.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 169
    Google "input monitoring" and your DAW name.

How did you inport the WAV?
    Are you drag/dropping a 16bit 44.1khz file into a session that is setup at 24bit 48khz for example?

Back to basics : 
    Is the Kemper track's  "Solo" button armed? That will mute all else.

Bingo!! I dragged and dropped the file from my desktop. Which I was doing previously with no joy. 
    I went into the Focusrite control and changed the sample rate from 48khz to 44.1khz and it started working.

Thank you very much indeed @jacklawtey and @Winny_Pooh problem solved ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom