why the Earthquaker Devices Plumes wasn't for me

What's Hot
JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
I guess I'd find it helpful if these kind of views were out there, given the sheer amount of pedals that are released, it's difficult to know if there's a meaningful difference between one and the other. The Plumes I'd read lots of good things about and I quite like the TS world, so I decided to take one in a trade. I compared it with my favourite TS derivative and here are the results.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited May 2020
    Interesting comparison, thanks John.

I have an eqd plumes and a soul food and run both of them into my modeller (amplifire). I have to keep the gain and treble down on both of them to avoid them sounding harsh. 

I'd be really interested to hear a comparison of the the plumes into hx stomp, fm3 and your boogie. I have a working hypothesis that drive pedals sound harsher in front of a modeller vs amp. If that's true then I should probably look for a darker, richer drive pedal instead. Suggestions welcome!
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    I ditched the plumes. I'd say it depends on whether your amp or profile are set bright or not. 
    In front of a bright amp, the plumes sounded the same and harsh. The Antares on the other hand doesn't.

The other issue with the tubescreamer design is that the tone knob doesn't do anything to the actual high frequencies? It doesn't seem to actually shave off the very high harsh presencey stuff!
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 932
    I tried a Plumes into my Iridium. Not bad but there was a sort of fizzy, harshness I didn't like.
    I sold it on and stuck with my TS808 re-issue.

@JohnCordy - How's the Antares through your Iridium compared with other TSs.

I want to try a Jam Pedal Tubedreamer - have you?
  • I almost bought this pedal, then read up on the Honker Overdrive (TL Pedals in Canada), which I recently ordered (a few weeks to come in)... it's TS, but with a far more versatile range and capability... and more drive.  Very anxious to get it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom