What all round Bass ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    Hmmm that oil city overkill in the bridge of a j / jb bass sounds like it could be interesting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Hmmm that oil city overkill in the bridge of a j / jb bass sounds like it could be interesting 
    We have the Overkill in the bridge of a Harley Benton J bass as a demonstrator and I use it has my spare when I gig. My main bass is a 4003... We need to record them side-by-side, but my bass players ears struggle to tell them apart in the mix of the punk-adjacent band I play with. 
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    @4string interesting!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    In fact the Rickenbacker ‘bridge’ pickup is in a position slightly closer to the ‘neck’ pickup on a Jazz than it is to the bridge. Like the Precision, they’re really all middle pickups.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    ICBM said:
    In fact the Rickenbacker ‘bridge’ pickup is in a position slightly closer to the ‘neck’ pickup on a Jazz than it is to the bridge. Like the Precision, they’re really all middle pickups.

I refer to it as the "Treble" pickup for that very reason, plus the fact that the controls are so labelled.
    4string said:
    We have the Overkill in the bridge of a Harley Benton J bass as a demonstrator and I use it has my spare when I gig. My main bass is a 4003... We need to record them side-by-side, but my bass players ears struggle to tell them apart in the mix of the punk-adjacent band I play with. 
    I've (many times) said that it's possible to get the sound if you stick to the 1st 5 frets; it's only as you meander up & down the neck that the character of the instrument and the interplay between the Ric's two pickups becomes evident.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    @prowla, as someone who obviously knows their Rics, are their any years or models that have slimmer necks or are they all standardised?
    Apparently the latest Ric 4003 has a slim neck ?
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Gotta be the Marleaux Consat Custom 5 - Pays homage to a RIC 4001/3, but can play any genre.

I'm ashamed to say I've owned 50 basses, but that was the best.

I think I paid £1200 2nd hand in 2011(?).
    JezWynd said:
    @prowla, as someone who obviously knows their Rics, are their any years or models that have slimmer necks or are they all standardised?
    I've got a couple of 2010 ones which have nice slim necks.
    My 2013 one is a bit chunkier, but that's the one I've got the trem on, so it's OK.
    My 5-string is noticeably different, but actually I find I am playing some things better on it!
    There's a lot of hand-work goes into making them, so I'm not sure you can point out particular years, TBH; some say the 2000's, but I can't say for sure.
    @4string I just ordered the overkill pickup so over the next while will track down a bass with j pickups. I suppose that opens up a lot of options but am guessing anything modeled on a 70s j bass with the bridge pickup closer to the bridge is key here ?
    @4string I just ordered the overkill pickup so over the next while will track down a bass with j pickups. I suppose that opens up a lot of options but am guessing anything modeled on a 70s j bass with the bridge pickup closer to the bridge is key here ?
    No, the exact opposite. The Rick pickup position is closer to the Jazz neck pickup than the 70s Jazz bridge. The 60s Jazz splits the difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM ah I see. I won’t be too precious about it then to try out this pickup. I spied a G&L tribute JB2 so could work.
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for your custom. :-) @ICBM is the expert on placement. I must ask Ash to create an R based neck pickup at some point, when he has 10 minutes to breath... Something that fitted the neck position of a J bass would be nice. Hmmm, then a J bass body with the pickup routs in the same place as an R bass. Sounds like a project.  
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    This is a useful graphic...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    ICBM said:

Yes. Yes it is.
    Hmmm so that overkill pickup could nearly go in the neck of a J bass !
    Hmmm so that overkill pickup could nearly go in the neck of a J bass !
    Not if it's a Jazz bridge size - they don't fit in the same routs.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:

Would be interesting to see how my Shuker would fit in there. 
    It's certainly true that most of the basses I really like have the pickup (or the one I like) somewhere around those two red lines. I'm not a fan of the bridge pickup sound at all really - the closest is the Stingray, but it's still closer to the R position than the Jazz bridge, even the 60s one.