Bluetooth or other PA/broadcast system for social distancing garden concerts?

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1190
Somebody was suggesting that doing small outdoor events might be possible later in the summer and was wondering if there was any way of streaming the audio so people could maintain a significant distance from each other and the performer (and maybe even listening in their cars like at a drive-in movie?) I've been thinking about it and not sure what you'd need to make it work. I suspect Bluetooth is too local to be much help. Some kind of streaming over wifi or mobile signal maybe? Could that be done roughly in sync with the performance or would there be a real lag? Any thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Keep it simple. Use a PA which is large enough for outside work.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, well that would definitely be the simple thing. However, it doesn't really help with what this promoter was looking for, which was an alternative to having a large (and loud) PA. He was talking about options that would allow people to be present at a gig, see the performance and hear the live music, but without having to be too close to the stage area, and not relying on blasting out music at the whole neighbourhood. 
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 374
    Have you looked at a silent disco? They use radio frequencies. So you could tune in with a car radio i suppose.
    Of course! Good thinking. Something like that might work. And somebody had just pointed out that US churches (can't see it being a UK thing) were broadcasting their services to people sitting outside their churches in their cars. 
    I think they use some kind of FM transmission. 
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    They're expensive but minirigs would be the best solution.

You can link multiple units with WiFi. They might even do a rental deal on them?

I've got a couple and one of the subs which is excellent. I've even mic'd up my little champ and run the sub as an extension to give more low end when I want it. They're super versatile, built like tanks and sound brilliant
    https://minirigs.co.uk/speakers/bluetooth-minirig-3

At 40 watts each they're really loud to. 

I've done house parties with my set up too. 
    @Rich210 That's brilliant! I can totally see how that would work. Trying not to be dumb here, but if you were looking at using say four these outside in a field or a large courtyard or something, what sort of wifi signal would you need to have it all working?

Hi @camf ; I don't actually think they need WiFi on second thought. They use Bluetooth which would be fine as they send and receive to one another. 

They link with Bluetooth together. With the newer ones you can have as many as you want. Each device has a sender and receiver so you just keep on linking them up and easily far enough for social distancing. I'd say they'd be a really good solution. 

They also link with with cable too.

I've had three subs and 4 minirigs connected which was mega, I've even used them for jams through a preamp! There's some funny videos with people linking loads up in parks etc. 

They're the real deal and battery last ages too. On full volume you can easily get 7 hours out of them. 

I think if you called them up and let them know what you trying to do they'd be really helpful. They were originally an idea that came from the speakerplans forum which is basically a fretboard for people that are into PA rigs. 

@Rich210 I'm going to check these out. They sound like they'd do a great job (although not cheap, for sure.) :)
    @camf

I think they're great! Would interesting to see if you could rent some off them to. Be interesting to see what you end up doing with them! 

Best

Rich
  • I’ve done a gig with a ‘silent disco’ system. The client had already booked the silent disco experience then decided they wanted a ‘silent’ live band as well.

We already gigged a silent stage (no back line) other than the drum kit, so our drummer just brought along his Roland kit. 

We just plugged from our mixing desk into the gear supplied for the silent disco. I’m sure their system worked using UHF Wireless. 

It worked great to be honest all be it a bit strange. Especially if you took the headphones off. All you could hear was the tapping of dancing feet in a silent room.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    If the promoter doesn’t want to pay for the silent disco then how about streaming by wifi to customers’ ‘phones?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Interesting. Silent disco is a good idea but it's not cheap either. Streaming to phones or cars might be the best option. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I’ve done a gig with a ‘silent disco’ system. The client had already booked the silent disco experience then decided they wanted a ‘silent’ live band as well.

We already gigged a silent stage (no back line) other than the drum kit, so our drummer just brought along his Roland kit. 

We just plugged from our mixing desk into the gear supplied for the silent disco. I’m sure their system worked using UHF Wireless. 

It worked great to be honest all be it a bit strange. Especially if you took the headphones off. All you could hear was the tapping of dancing feet in a silent room.  =)
    How did you make a silent singer?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Haha! I'm sure there's a lot of guitarists, bassists and drummers would like an answer to that question.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1143
    edited May 2020
    mrkb said:
    I’ve done a gig with a ‘silent disco’ system. The client had already booked the silent disco experience then decided they wanted a ‘silent’ live band as well.

It worked great to be honest all be it a bit strange. Especially if you took the headphones off. All you could hear was the tapping of dancing feet in a silent room. 
    How did you make a silent singer?
    When a pro singer has got a Microphone eq’d well with compression he/she doesn’t need to push any kind of serious volume, especially if the ‘silent’ band is mixed well in the headphones. The tapping of dancing feet easily drowned out the acoustic volume of our singer in the room on the gig.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    WiFi or Bluetooth is probably the best way. There's passwords that will stop non-payers and other chance rd if it's a paid-for event. 

AM/FM has no security in that respect. Hiring the equipment isn't that expensive I believe and a broadcast licence for an evening is just a matter of filing forms and paying a fee
  • HCDaviesHCDavies Frets: 12
    You don't say if this is going to be a free concert, if so and you want to do it dirt cheap, maybe use youtube and do it live over that, You'd have to put the sound mix into what ever pc or pcs you are broadcasting from. 

Just a thought and you could reach all over the world with that.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited July 2020
    WiFi and Bluetooth have latency and range issues. 

The professional drive in productions are using short range FM to car stereos (needs a license and a transmitter) or an adequately sized outdoor PA. 

The issue with silent disco and similar tech is that you then have to manage the distribution and collection of hardware to every attendee and the hygiene complications that now come with that.