GSP LP DC Jr

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27424
edited May 2020 in Making & Modding
Next project is a simple finishing job on this ...

... or maybe it'll be more accurate to say that it *was* a simple finishing job.

It's the one on the left, one of GSP's pieces that I recently bought from  another member here.

My original thinking was that I'd use some gold grain filler, with red stain over the top  and then a few coats of oil to build up to a nice shine.  Tried that on a test piece (albeit different piece of mahogany) with these results ...

... the gold filler enhanced the grain nicely, and with a few more coats of oil and some buffing work, I thought it'd probably turn out quite nicely.

*But*, that would create another red LPJr DC.  We've all seen plenty of those.

Which got me thinking ... 

This one is quite heavy, with all its clothes off.  If I added a cap, I could chamber the body to reduce the weight, and create something that's not just another red LPJr DC. 

I'm not thinking of anything too fancy or carved, but I've got a few nice-ish pieces that are sat here waiting for a suitable project to come along ...

(to show just 3 options!).

I'd remove a few mm from the thickness of the body on this one, so that the neck join angle still works, drill out some chambers, add the cap and re-find the pickup cavity and bridge holes.  I might still finish the back with the red-over-gold combination, and then something suitable for whichever cap I use.

To my mind, the benefits of adding a cap are;
- I can chamber the body and lose some weight
- I can hide the neck/body join without having to use a scratchplate
- I make something a little different

The only downside being that it's no longer a traditional sort of finish for that sort of guitar.

Thoughts, oh wise ones??

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    I bought some London plane from @Rabs company to do a similar job. I'm planning something suitably ornate with 3-ply binding and bling:

There *is* precedent for fancy tops on a DC shape:

GibsonCustom60LPDCutVOSCB_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27424
    I've got some of that too @SteveRobinson ; !

If you're thinking of doing something similar, it can't be a completely daft idea then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503

I think these are so cool looking, I really really like them. Would love to have a go on one some day soon. Was never into the cobra burst, but seeing this might change my mind!

TTony what happened to the Fishman acoustasonic idea? I pulled the powerbridge from my LP if you're still interested in it. I tried heating the solder on the back, which made no difference, it's the low E & G saddle's which are lower output, if you can work some magic on it & use it I can post it to you. Now it's out of my guitar I'll never use it. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Yeah, something carved top and "burst" of somesort.  DC if that's your thing.  Hollow body like WezV's latest maybe ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited May 2020
    The third top with the knots is well interesting!

Do you take a tad off the thickness of the back of the body or go with the extra thickness?
     (You did a corking job of that les pauly one you recently revived, look forward to seeing it progress)

Those gsp jnrs are so slick I'll get one one day (or eventually make one from scratch when I'm skilled enough)

TTony what happened to the Fishman acoustasonic idea?
    It’s still at the idea stage!  

I don’t really understand how, but with lockdown and furlough and absolutely zero real work to do, I don’t seem to have had much progress on a whole long list of projects.

Will PM you re the bridge though, as that project is still going to happen, eventually!

MLten80 said:

Do you take a tad off the thickness of the back of the body or go with the extra thickness?
     (You did a corking job of that les pauly one you recently revived, look forward to seeing it progress)

Normally @MLten80 ; (having done this a few times now!), I’ll take “x”mm off the top, where x = the thickness of the cap that I’m putting on.  I put it on the top rather than back so that I can chamber the body to remove some of the weight too - and cover the neck join without needing a horrible piece of plastic to do that job!

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    I don't see the non-trad finish as a downside, just different. Liking the owl's face in #2 top.
    Started milling up a blank for a DC with fancy top but as there's two others coming along here and Pete's pair I reckon a re-ponder is in order.. which means more pondering tea & biscuits, so not too bad..
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    That's one of the things I want to do too..  LOVE that flamed DC ever since I first saw them....  When I actually get my arse in gear and start making again, I want to do a FULL London Plane DC guitar...  And that will be a chambered one with a fancy top...
    Corvus said:

Started milling up a blank for a DC with fancy top but as there's two others coming along here and Pete's pair I reckon a re-ponder is in order.. 
    There’s always plenty of room in the world for another DC.  Teles are a different matter, but DCs ... get on with it.
    ;)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    edited May 2020
    Feeling guilty about making a Tele now but with the DC jigs all made and ready to go I might go for a flame topped DC with binding like this next !!   The Tele is only to practice low risk binding on anyway - honest !!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    You do have a good eye for finding nice timbers, @TTony ; !   Some crackers there!

And in my book, nothing at all wrong with a topped DC :)
    PeteC said:
    Feeling guilty about making a Tele now 
    :D 

Of course, I’d never admit it, but I’ve got a made Tele or two, too ...

You do have a good eye for finding nice timbers, @TTony ; !   Some crackers there!

Thanks @Andyjr1515  - I grab them when I see them and then don’t use them for years.  Mark Bailey sold off some of his stock last year, and I grabbed a load, just before buying a load more from @Rabs.

Still, I reckon I’ll have used them all by 2030.  ish.

Decision:  I’m going to maple cap the Jr DC, once I’ve chambered it and taken 5mm off the top.  Finish the top in white (Osmo) and then grain fill the back with the Crimson gold with red stain on the back & sides.  Or I might use black stain over the gold - that might match better with the white top.
    edited May 2020 tFB Trader
    How about gold leaf on the top?
    Gold leaf ?? @SteveRobinson ;
    tFB Trader
    I have made one similar before that was also chambered...  Lovely guitar.  The next one I will make for myself.. Probably :)

https://i.imgur.com/ye9nviN.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Gold leaf ?? @SteveRobinson ;
    Nothing wrong with a bit of bling now and again
    Whilst I prevaricate - is a LP Jr with a fancy top still a LP Jr, or is it something else - I've been busy making some sawdust today.

Finally got around to planing and jointing some of the Utile (similar to Limba) planks that I bought ages ago, and also put this through the planer/thicknesser ...

... that's the Idigbo that I bought at the same - ages ago - time.

It's not been treated with anything in those photos,just straight out of the thicknesser.

I'd originally planned on putting some sort of caps on this, as it didn't look much in plank form, but with the colouring and patterning that's now visible, almost flamed-like in places, I think that's going to become something with a top carved into it and then probably a simple oil finish.

It's  heavy though.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16635
    Ooh, flame and bearclaw type figuring.  Looks nice
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010

That is pretty much my perfect guitar! What is that called? (Yes, yes, clever clogs, I know it's a Gibson, but a Gibson what?)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

That is pretty much my perfect guitar! What is that called? (Yes, yes, clever clogs, I know it's a Gibson, but a Gibson what?)
    Custom DC Special...
    https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSF5K865/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cut-Figured-Top/Cobra-Burst
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom