5 wire pups in a Flying V useful?

SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
edited May 2020 in Guitar
Anyone know if a CTS push pull pot (The black plastic backed ones with the 6 holes on the side) will fit in the cavity of a Gibson V?

..don’t want to waste a set of strings finding it they can’t if the don’t!
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15224
    The only reliable way to find out is to remove your strings and scratchplate in order to take measurements.

Depending on what you want to be able to operate via DPDTs, it might be easier to achieve using a Freeway 3x3-03 six-way toggle selector switch. 

On a Vee, coil splitting of “vintage” output pickups would be fairly pointless. Phase reversal and series interconnection of the two pickups might prove more interesting. 

With high output humbuckers, partial coil split makes some sense. Parallel coils mode might be worth trying. 

Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting surrounds are another way of obtaining numerous coil permutations. I’m not sure whether they are available in a size that is tall enough for a Gibson Vee.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Cheers @Funkfingers - I was thinking of a phase flip, but actually I think the scratchplate is a bit too flimsy to take repeated ‘pushing and pulling’ 
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)