Fantom 7 incoming

What's Hot
paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
edited May 2020 in Other Instruments
So - i bit the bullet.

Going to have to put some hours into re-programming many patches/sounds/scenes I have on my FA for the live bands.... Im not looking forwards to that BUT the control surface, and a few other live control functions (for outboard synths) are going to help SOOOOO much.

Most vids/demos focus on Pianos, sequencing, orchestral stuff etc (as its a workstation) BUT the synth section (and live realtime control) is where it really shines (compared to Kronos, Montage etc).

Demo from 3rd party showing the capabilites of the synth side.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Ww0u8ZYqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xK33FmiW24

Ill keep my FA07 initially so I can use it as reference to sound design my patches and studio sets, but then it will be up for sale if anyones interested.   Ill post in adds once im done with it.  Will look for £500 ish I think.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Congrats - I'm sure it will be an absolute beast.

£500 sounds possibly a little low for the FA, but I'm sure it will shift at that price!
    Also, I feel your pain on recreating patches. I'm in that boat and struggling for motivation with the gigging situation
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    horse said:
    Congrats - I'm sure it will be an absolute beast.

£500 sounds possibly a little low for the FA, but I'm sure it will shift at that price!
    Possibly, but I'd rather it shift and put funds back than sit for ages.

Would mean 600 asking if I resort to Ebay and it reverb,  possibly 550 on gumtree and 500 on forums.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The synth sounds are great! What sort of music do you play live?
    edited May 2020
    One band is 80s - Duran, Spandau, Tears for Fears, Deacon Blue, Simple minds, Soft Cell, Depeche Mode etc
    The other is more spread out from 60s to 2000s, but has Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, Toto, Hoosiers, Scissor Sisters, No Doubt etc
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Ah.. Lots of varied sounds needed there! 
    edited May 2020
    Hence the rig lol.

I think my Peak my no longer be needed though.    Its big draw is analogue filter - that the Fantom has - and its Mod matrix, that my Virus Ti2 has.    Sure its a great synth but its quite modern sounding really - and much of what I bought it for is now covered in the other 2.   The Fantom will cover Jupiter  and Juno sounds, and the Virus can cover most other sounds.

Next move might well be moving Peak on and picking up something like a Hydrasynth desktop.   Dont know yet.  

• wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    Oooh let me know if you want to shift the Peak as I'd be interested provided my music fund can cover it. I'm near Matlock so not too far away if socially distant meet up is possible. 
    Sure.  about 70% of sounds I was using the Peak for are now being done by the Virus.    If the Fantom can take care of the other 30% I'll definitely shift Peak.  id be keeping it just because... it was my first proper synth, and the Hydrasynth might do me better in other areas.

I hate selling stuff lol.   
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    You and me both, I'll end up with a museum eventually and not be able to play any of them!
    Finally arrived (NO thanks to TNT/UPS). 

A  minor disappointment.  The Analogue filter is actually an FX, NOT a selectable filter type in the tone design.  It means you can only use one setting (cut off/resonance) across all 16 tones available, which is a pain AND you can only apply the filter to a whole tone not a partial - but thats OK its how most synths work anyway (ie they dont have one filter per Oscillator).  The BIG negative, is you cant apply a Filter env or LFO to it.....so no auto filter sweeps or building brightness.   There is a potential fix for that which Ive suggested though.  all the LFOs and Envelopes are Source's int he Matrix (a first for a Roland Workstation)  - all they need to do now is add "Analogue Filter Cutoff" and "Analogue filter resonance" to the destination list and its at least usable for tine design.  

On the Plus side, the V-Pianos are slightly different to my RD2000.   Top end is pretty much the same, but the low end is fuller, with more body/resonance.  In a mix (live or recorded) thats probably not a great idea as you'd tend to cut the lows anyway for it to sit - BUT sor playing lone Pianos - at home, recorded or live..... its a nicer sound.  As I though the V-{Pianos would be the same and Id be part paying for something I already had thats a nice plus.

Now - Ive updated to the latest FW and Im loaded teh expansion packs (Some Supernatural Pianos/EPs/Strings/Brass etc etc etc along with some older roland sounds)  - I only have to wait 1 hour and 35 minutes for that to happen..... Thats  LOT of sounds/waves.

edited June 2020
    Pics - new stand as well as the old ones middle tier wasnt deep enough to house the new Fantom.

https://i.imgur.com/IHL5Rzz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QvTbnow.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bKcYmws.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So - i bit the bullet.

Going to have to put some hours into re-programming many patches/sounds/scenes I have on my FA for the live bands.... Im not looking forwards to that BUT the control surface, and a few other live control functions (for outboard synths) are going to help SOOOOO much.

Most vids/demos focus on Pianos, sequencing, orchestral stuff etc (as its a workstation) BUT the synth section (and live realtime control) is where it really shines (compared to Kronos, Montage etc).

Demo from 3rd party showing the capabilites of the synth side.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Ww0u8ZYqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xK33FmiW24

Ill keep my FA07 initially so I can use it as reference to sound design my patches and studio sets, but then it will be up for sale if anyones interested.   Ill post in adds once im done with it.  Will look for £500 ish I think.
     It's an in-joke, "as it's a workstation" lol!
  • Ha Ha :)