Malcolm Young

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4250
Was tracking the rhythm to Sin City this evening and through detailed listening of the original Powerage recording I felt a little overwhelmed with his loss I must admit.  An ACDC follower since first picking up the guitar I think Angus taught me to play but Malcolm taught me to be play in time.  I expect that many a track is made up of comps but despite that, it's still metronomic in its rhythm regularly.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2248
    I know what you mean, although I'm not sure I'd call it 'metronomic', which suggests digitally precise to me. AC/DC as a whole have an great groove. There's some sort of swing to the rhythm that's hard to pin down.

It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4250
    Its almost like there isn't a verb for it.  It's precisely repetitive, but without being repetitive.  THere's probably a word in Polish for it mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    Yep,agreed, that moment when I realised that what I really wanted to be doing was trying to be more Malcolm than Angus was almost an epiphany 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10930
    Rick Beato has done one on this

I agree, it is so sad about Malcolm. Such an awful disease
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7217
    Malcolm is up there with Keef and Nile Rodgers for amazing rhythm players.

He is tight as anything but he swings.  
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited May 2020
    DrBob said:
    Yep,agreed, that moment when I realised that what I really wanted to be doing was trying to be more Malcolm than Angus was almost an epiphany 
    Yep, same thing for me and also the same with Bill in Mastodon. Something cool about a solid rhythm player holding the fort whilst the lead guitarist is buggering about showing off. I probably should have been a bass player.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Never mind rhythm vs lead, I'd put Malcolm in my top 5 guitarists any day of the week. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1314
    Totally with you on this @fastonebaz his playing isn’t so much metronomic as accurate. The little pushes and inflections in the timing are all placed perfectly. Just immense energy and excitement in the way he plays. Then on top of that his tone is brilliantly raw.

As an aside, the first gig I ever went to was AC/DC on the Highway To Hell tour a couple of months before Bon died. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2777
    Rowby1 said:

As an aside, the first gig I ever went to was AC/DC on the Highway To Hell tour a couple of months before Bon died. 
    Yep. I saw them at Southampton Gaumont on Highway to Hell tour. Last date of the tour I think. I'm 6'5" and was standing at the front (sorry if you were standing behind me!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4250
    Wow must've been so awesome to see them at ther height of their energy. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 948
    Always annoys me when covers bands do AC/DC and the Malcolm part is soaked in drive......... :-(

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1314
    newi123 said:
    Always annoys me when covers bands do AC/DC and the Malcolm part is soaked in drive......... :-(

Yes, hate that too!
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1490
    Rowby1 said:
    newi123 said:

Yes, hate that too!

There's a great video of Audley Freed doing a Gibson clinic when he talks about Malcolm Young and Pete Townshends rhythm playing and tone. It's not saturated at all, just beginning to drive.

What a tone this is:. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1012
    I think Malcolm Young had it all. The sound, the ability to write hooky/catchy chord progressions.

He looked swamped and barely in control when he had the jazz box. He always suited the look with the battered solid body.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10969
    newi123 said:

Me too, used very little gain. 

The chord voicing is critical, not just the actual 5's he played but the way he attacked, muting the bottom E with his thumb quite often and striking for attack. Get the voicing wrong and it just doesn't sound right ... right notes maybe but not right

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 948
    Danny1969 said:
    newi123 said:

Me too, used very little gain. 

The chord voicing is critical, not just the actual 5's he played but the way he attacked, muting the bottom E with his thumb quite often and striking for attack. Get the voicing wrong and it just doesn't sound right ... right notes maybe but not right

Yep - I think any good player is distinctive in the way they attack and play the note.

On one of the rig rundowns the tech said Malcolms Marshalls were on 3 or 4. That's pretty clean really!

Also annoys me when bands play highway and haven't listened to when the guitars come in...... Both from the first chord - aarrggghhhhhh! 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    Dodge said:
    Rowby1 said:
    newi123 said:

Yes, hate that too!

There's a great video of Audley Freed doing a Gibson clinic when he talks about Malcolm Young and Pete Townshends rhythm playing and tone. It's not saturated at all, just beginning to drive.

What a tone this is:. 
    Audleys such a great player