Simplifier - viable alternative to the Iridium? An honest review...

What's Hot
JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
Some may know my Iridium packed itself up and deceased...so I'm on the hunt for alternatives, ive been asked about the Simplifier, as it's kinda similar feature wise with on paper a bit extra.

Here's why it won't be replacing the Iridium spot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jiiimjiiim Frets: 30
    I bought the simplifier, but I sent it back too.

I love the idea, and I really really wanted to love the reality. But for me—and this is almost entirely subjective—it sounded and felt quite thin, and I just couldn't click with it. I'm sure it will be pleasing to some people, but when it comes to creativity, for me, and I'm sure for many musicians, it's really important to feel connected and inspired by guitars and amps, but I wasn't with this. So the search continues for my 'ampless' silent playing solution continues.

From an ergonomic point of view I also found it quite fiddly, and perhaps not that well excecuted... perhaps something they could consider more for future iterations. For example, I imagine most players would be more likely to tweak things like the preamp tone controls than independant L/R mic placements, but these controls are tiny, and tricky to see from standing. And to be honest, I wouldn't have minded it the unit was a bit larger and allowed a better structured placement of the controls.

And then it comes to price... £300 is a lot of dough for something like this—particulalry when you can buy an entire amp like the Boss Nextone for just £60 more. And for that money, I think it should feel a little less pre-production.

I really love what the designers are doing, and the spririt of the whole thing, and the ethos of the company, but in this case it wasn't for me.

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @jiiim so those were exactly my thoughts.

Like you, I sort of thought it was lacking in the bass dept, and some of my regular viewers said it sounded a bit lifeless compared to my usual stuff?

And yes, for £300, if it's not right, it's not right....Might as well just use a Joyo Tech 21 clone as those are really great bang for buck even if they're not totally competing with the Iridium?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jiiimjiiim Frets: 30
    JohnCordy said:
    And yes, for £300, if it's not right, it's not right....Might as well just use a Joyo Tech 21 clone as those are really great bang for buck even if they're not totally competing with the Iridium?
    Yeah, and let's not forget the Nux Solid Studio for only £125. Might be an option if you already have a preamp sound you are happy with. Could put a Joyo America in front of that and you'd have an Iridium alternative for near on half the price of the Simplifier.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now.

My ideal would be a Tweed Deluxe or a Princeton with an attenuator with a headphone out. But that's pretty big bucks.

Considering an HX Stomp, or perhaps a Nextone.