UK guys - help me find someone to make me a neck and use these delightful fingerboards

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
UK makers, help me out - a few years ago (more than I realised) @SteveRobinson took one of my favourite strat necks and gave it to someone along with a Brazillian rosewood board blank I had and said asked them to make a clone of it, I've spoken to steve a few months back and we don't know did it as it was a lot longer ago than I thought.

The pictures will show it turned out just lovely, and as the pictures show I have more lovely Brazilian rose wood blanks (and some not so lovely) I'd I'd like more clones of this neck please (not buy an all parts neck of similar spec and do a new fingerboard, an actual clone / very close replica). I've got 2 necks I can offer as templates that need to be pretty close, both Fender Japan 62/63 re-issues.

I've got the fretboards, I need someone to make me a neck and use the fretboard blanks to make 62/63 spec necks for me.

At a minimum I'd like them as good as the original clone, which is lovely in fact it's nicer than the Fender thanks to the fretboard put on it.

Once I've got at least one more clone I'm looking for either more clones, or some slight variations / artistic license, eg: maybe a nice flamed maple neck, with the nice fretboards, maybe one with no fret markers, maybe one (as I've got a real desire for this at the moment) with hollow dot fret markers, 

I can supply the nice Brazilian rosewood fretboard blanks wood, the template necks, I can even supply the bodies they are going to go on if you'd like them to make a tight fit, but who can clone the neck and maybe do a bit of changes with future ones ?

My only critique of the original clone is that the fretboard markers are not the right clay, they look a little too white, but other than that, it's pretty close to a perfect neck, 7.25 radius, lovely profile etc.

any interest in you UK guys to do some luthiering ?

Really want to support local guys, I'm in no rush so don't worry about time or covid - I just want someone to do a really good job and not waste these lovely blanks, I may also want a tele neck too, but baby steps, one thing at a time.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    I wonder if it was Mr @Paul_C ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

No, wasn't me.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    I've been through 20 years of emails and nothing sorry
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    edited May 2020
    I've been through 20 years of emails and nothing sorry
    I know you tried, you where excellent, you did it super quick as it while I was staying up north for approx 4 - 5 months looking after my sick mother, you setup 3 N4's for me, which are still excellent to this day, fixed a bad setup on a Jap strat (which is the neck you took as the template) and somewhere in that time period the neck you see in the photos came back with the fretboard blank I gave you in place, it's lovely, and to hold it's identical to the one you setup.

thought some luthiers would be into this, I guess the lockdown has allowed luthiers time to get their heads down and concentrate on their backlog or new product development.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    darcym said:
    thought some luthiers would be into this, I guess the lockdown has allowed luthiers time to get their heads down and concentrate on their backlog or new product development.

Drop @Danielsguitars a line!.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    No I'm not getting into these right now, I'm not jigged up for them, I was working with a friend who did have the jigs but he's not doing anything now

I've got 2 pre CBS spec necks one tele one strat and I'm keeping them

I've got far too much on with commissions and refinishing now, maybe in the future I'll get round to them
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    struggling to find someone to make a couple of vintage spec strat necks and maybe a tele neck, got some nice brazillian rosewood for the boards, are uk based luthiers that maxed out at the moment that necks not worth it ? had some really nice and polite declines due to workload, who else should I be tapping up ?
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133

struggling to find someone to make a couple of vintage spec strat necks and maybe a tele neck, got some nice brazillian rosewood for the boards, are uk based luthiers that maxed out at the moment that necks not worth it ? had some really nice and polite declines due to workload, who else should I be tapping up ?
    How about tapping up Paul Richard Stevens (based in Eastbourne, West Sussex)? Never had anything custom built by him, but have had both set up work and a partscaster bolted together by him (years ago, when he was based in London and worked through Wembley Guitar Centre) and he is meticulous in his approach and a dead nice guy to deal with:

https://paulstevensguitars.wixsite.com/paulstevensguitars