PSA: Yamaha L-series MIJ model blowout at Yamaha Music London

What's Hot
WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
Cheapest I've ever seen these new in the UK!

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/L-Series-Acoustic-Guitars/

26-series £1695
36-series £2195
56-series £3495

They also have an ex-demo LL56 at £2995.

These are the non-cutaway non-electro versions, appears that's all they have, but they are indicating all nine variants in stock as of this post.

Plus if you add one to your cart something comes up about a free soundbar/subwoofer for your home theatre for some reason, worth about £300...!

I noted that Peach was blowing out the 6 and 16 series, I'm kind of assuming between that and this clearout that the L-series has been discontinued (again) ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 614
    I honestly had no idea that Yamaha even made guitars that expensive!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an LJ26 that I got secondhand for not that much less than the prices that are being offered here. It's a seriously nice guitar.

I might have thought about getting an LS56 but I seem to have spent up this month already @Whitecat ;-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Epsilon said:
    A lot of people don't and wonder if undermarketing possibly led to the lack of sales that may be contributing to the discontinuation. There is a dearth of info on these out there, but there is a small cult of happy owners that pop up on various forums/socials who seem to "get it"...

My main acoustic at the moment is an LL36 and it is every bit as good as anything from the major builder's high end stables and just as nice or nicer that all but the craziest high-end luthier-built stuff.

I have an LJ26 that I got secondhand for not that much less than the prices that are being offered here. It's a seriously nice guitar.

I might have thought about getting an LS56 but I seem to have spent up this month already @Whitecat ;-)
    LOL... and here's me with a pocketful of cash earmarked for far more sensible purposes...

At these prices I think the 36 is the sweet-spot personally. The 56, other than having slightly better tuners (Gotoh 510s) is cosmetically and materially identical to the 36, and the mysterious aura of 'single master luthier' construction is the only justification for the upcharge... but that said, who knows, maybe that matters more than I think... would be nice to sit down and try them all but that obviously isn't possible yet...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    Epsilon said:
    A lot of people don't and wonder if undermarketing possibly led to the lack of sales that may be contributing to the discontinuation. There is a dearth of info on these out there, but there is a small cult of happy owners that pop up on various forums/socials who seem to "get it"...

My main acoustic at the moment is an LL36 and it is every bit as good as anything from the major builder's high end stables and just as nice or nicer that all but the craziest high-end luthier-built stuff.

I've no doubt that they're excellent guitars given Yamaha's reputation for outclassing almost everyone in terms of quality per pricepoint. I can't help but feel that they've placed this product in a very challenging market segment given what the brand is usually known for, however. I imagine most people would see a >£2.5k pricepoint and think "I can get a nice Martin/Taylor/Lowden etc for that money and not have to lose a bomb if I resell", plus less tangible factors like mojo and prestige.  I guess maybe Yamaha thought they'd take a risk but perhaps it hasn't paid off in terms of sales, hence the discontinuation.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    @Whitecat What's the neck profile and general tone of these like? There is hardly any decent demos of these guitars out there. 
    Lodious said:
    @Whitecat What's the neck profile and general tone of these like? There is hardly any decent demos of these guitars out there. 
    It’s on the slim side, slight V (but not pronounced) with not too much taper. 

Tonally I think this is the best video out there at the moment comparing the LS to the LL. 

https://youtu.be/TFu5f8aGg1c

The LS has that small-body focus to it, loads of overtones and detail. The LL is more piano-like in its range but never ever “boomy” like a regular dreadnought shape can get sometimes.
    edited June 2020
    Double post, and...
    edited June 2020
    Triple post, sorry!
    Epsilon said:
    Whitecat said:
    Epsilon said:

I have an LJ26 that I got secondhand for not that much less than the prices that are being offered here. It's a seriously nice guitar.

LOL... and here's me with a pocketful of cash earmarked for far more sensible purposes...

At these prices I think the 36 is the sweet-spot personally. The 56, other than having slightly better tuners (Gotoh 510s) is cosmetically and materially identical to the 36, and the mysterious aura of 'single master luthier' construction is the only justification for the upcharge... but that said, who knows, maybe that matters more than I think... would be nice to sit down and try them all but that obviously isn't possible yet...
    I'm sure they're very nice guitars. Yamaha have a reputation for outclassing the competition in terms of quality and at almost every price point. I do however feel that most people seeing a >£2.5k price tag would probably just think "I can get a Martin/Taylor/Lowden etc for that money and not have to lose a bomb if I need to resell", plus less tangible factors like "mojo" or "prestige" playing their part. They've placed a product in a very difficult market segment given what the brand is ordinarily known for.
    Absolutely. When Guitar magazine reviewed the 26 series they said almost exactly that, as they were reviewing them at their £3700 price - to paraphrase them, that it was worth considering them if you are marque blind because the quality is off the scale, but that at the prices they are getting into you can start talking to sole trading luthiers let alone get one of the major brands that would definitely be a faster resale. 

Again, some more marketing would have actually been welcome. When you talk about a guitar being built by a single master craftsman, why not tell us who that is? Tell us their story, show us film of them at work on these, photo diary the process etc. Even on the “team built” stuff some more behind-the-scenes stuff would be great. Not hard to do but I guess they made so comparatively few of these they just didn’t feel that it was necessary/needed...
    Thanks @Whitecat ....I have a LL36 in my basket....dithering if I should do it!
    Ooooh. Three words: free sound bar!! :D
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Lodious said:
    https://i.imgur.com/60CfAIw.jpg

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Got a LJ56 on the way. I have always fancied on of these. The guys at Yamaha were absolutely superb to deal with, especially considering the way that the current situation is affecting normal work/trade patterns. really went the extra mile to provide great service.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Gotta be one of the smartest moves I’ve seen here for ages. Well done sir
    artiebear said:
    Got a LJ56 on the way. I have always fancied on of these. The guys at Yamaha were absolutely superb to deal with, especially considering the way that the current situation is affecting normal work/trade patterns. really went the extra mile to provide great service.
    Nice. Look forward to the NGD post!
    I'd be really interested to hear how you get on with the new guitar, they look amazing
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Everything crossed that it survives UPS now :)  Not quite sure what day it will arrive as yet but will post some stuff when it does. Normally buying unseen is not on for me, but having experienced Yamaha quality for a long time, I am about as confident as I can be that it will be good. The deals across this range at the moment are as good as it gets for the quality on offer.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Just a wider point on Yams. I have currently 2 70s ones and they are exceptional. The FGs get zero love on this forum but I maintain they are among the best sub £600 guitars money can buy no question. 
    The L6 I have is low down in the range but it’s an absolute rocket. 

Andy79 said:
    Just a wider point on Yams. I have currently 2 70s ones and they are exceptional. The FGs get zero love on this forum but I maintain they are among the best sub £600 guitars money can buy no question. 
    The L6 I have is low down in the range but it’s an absolute rocket. 

Full agreement. The entry-level stuff is amazing, and the MIJ stuff is absolute top shelf...
  • Lodious said:
    https://i.imgur.com/60CfAIw.jpg
    Not that you're biased at all, no, no, no, not in the slightest ;) :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.