PSA: Yamaha L-series MIJ model blowout at Yamaha Music London

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5411
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    chor808 said:
    There is something very elegant about these Yamaha designs. Congratulations on a fabulous guitar. 

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Looks lovely!!!!
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    I'll try and get a close up tomorrow, the binding is a work of art. It resonates so well your mistakes ring out much longer!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    chor808 said:
    I'll try and get a close up tomorrow, the binding is a work of art. It resonates so well your mistakes ring out much longer!
    I too am really impressed by the way these things resonate. A sign of a great guitar. I have been recording with mine this last week or so ( already got four new songs out of it ) and it is lovely to work with. Enjoy getting to know it !
    Oh I should point out the tuners are excellent, they just say Yamaha but if like to put these on my other guitars so o need to find out what they are..
    edited June 2020
    chor808 said:
    Oh I should point out the tuners are excellent, they just say Yamaha but if like to put these on my other guitars so o need to find out what they are..
    I would assume that they are Gotohs. The ones on my LJ feel and look a lot like the tuners on my Yamaha SG3000. They are very smooth and accurate.
    Yeah, they are Yamaha-badged Gotohs. The 36 uses 310s and the 56 510s IIRC. 
  • Another beauty. I'll never tire of saying you can't go wrong with a yammie, but these look like it takes that to a new level.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    chor808 said:
    Looks great :-)

Does anybody know what strings these were shipped with, they feel really light! I'm not sure if they were .11's or .12's? I think they would have been .12's out of the factory, but mine feels light or .12's. I wonder if it had been restrung with .11's before they were shipped? I'm not complaining, it feels perfect for me :-)

I'm really loving the sound of mine, I was a bit worried it would be too bright, but it's such a balanced tone. The body just feels so alive. 
    They did feel like 11's, 80/20 bronze, but I didn't pay much attention to the ball ends to identify them. I thought they sounded really nice, nice bass with a light mid range and airy top end. I did my usual thing of fitting D'Addario phosphor bronze 12's to mine. A bit punchier and a little heavier for altered tunings, but I have to admit that the guitar did sound great with the original strings.
    artiebear said:
    They did feel like 11's, 80/20 bronze, but I didn't pay much attention to the ball ends to identify them. I thought they sounded really nice, nice bass with a light mid range and airy top end. I did my usual thing of fitting D'Addario phosphor bronze 12's to mine. A bit punchier and a little heavier for altered tunings, but I have to admit that the guitar did sound great with the original strings.
    Thanks AB :-)
  • These are now being blown out by peach. Seriously tempted even though I only picked up a martin Om 18 a couple of weeks ago. Only thing putting me off is resale value down the line. 
    As far as resale goes, you are already getting a crazy deal for a very high end new guitar when you compare the spec and performance with a lot of other makers. It's worth remembering that L series Yamahas are much less common than the rest of the range and their prices over the years have been commensurate with the type of quality involved. 
    In answer to your question over on the other thread, you would be looking at an LL to get to Yamaha's equivalent Dread. That being said , LJX36 at Peach would be the pick of the bunch out of theirs right now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    It’s a bit worrying that they have to be that heavily discounted to be able to sell them , regardless of the quality.
    It’s a bit worrying that they have to be that heavily discounted to be able to sell them , regardless of the quality.
    I’m not sure they have to be - Peach genuinely used to sell these for the original price although they never got that many in at all anyway. Think that Yamaha just wants them gone. 
  • I assume its basically the yamaha name. No one would question a taylor or martin being sold at this price. 
    Thing is, they do sell them at the original prices all across their world marketing regions. This seems to be a regional deal, seeing as very few of the high end Yamahas make it onto the UK market.. Yamaha are a huge corporation with very different business models across the divisions to some other major players in the industry. These aren't mass produced and stored by the hundreds in various warehouse distribution centres. If the quality is there, and the price is right, why should that be worrying ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chor808 said:
    Is that a 36 or 56