Garden birds - wotcha got?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9553
    Def not juvenile great tit. Siskin the right colours so probably that. Thanks @Keiko ;
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3010
    ALBATROSS!!!

no. Wait. It’s a pigeon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 741
    We live really close to a nature reserve near Wokingham so get lots of birds. 

Nuthatch
    Common woodpecker. Black, white and red one. 
    Coal tits
    Blue tits
    Great tits
    Bluejays
    Robins

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Woodpeckers occasionally. Wrens, Robins, great tits, we've had nuthatches, sparrows, pheasants, blackbirds, mistle thrush, crows, magpies, jackdaws.

We also have a regular visitor who isn't a bird but is a badger. We see it from time to time. 
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 363
    Very limited down here in Brighton. Seagulls, starlings and sparrows mostly, with an occasional robin, pigeon or magpie. Think I’ve seen 2 blue tits in our garden in the 11 years I’ve lived in this house.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited October 2021
    We get a lot of all sorts here. Loads of wood peckers, all sorts of wagtails, lapwings, warblers finches tits and thrushes. Buzzards and sparrowhawks are pretty common as are kestrels. One was nesting nearby recently. Got loads of owls. Regularly see a barn owl skimming the fields at dusk, which is lovely sight. 

We have a family of Canada geese and also several herons, and ducks, Not unusual for the herons to take the young either, which isn't so good.

On the moors we also have grouse and pheasants, and thankfully not many/if any wankers with guns. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    Living in the New Forest we have some fantastic garden birds.

Since the WFH thing came in I've been able to see some fantastic wildlife in the garden from my office.

I particularly enjoy seeing the Woodpeckers and birds of prey (one swooped down and got a squirrel recently).

There's a Heron who sometimes pops into the garden for a minute or two before flying away.

Lots of Owls at Night too !

We often get Badgers in the garden at night and until the houses were built next door the other year we often had deer in the garden.

It's been known to have a new forest pony in the front garden from time to time too
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    We get lots. Now and again I take pictures through the window.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762

During my WFH stints, watching this lot come into the feeders gives me a sense of enormous well-being (Parklife..... ;) )

Blue tits
    Great tits
    Long tailed tits
    Goldfinches
    Robins
    Blackbirds
    Collared doves
    Starlings
    Crows
    Magpies
    Pigeons
    Sparrows
    Dunnocks

very odd Nuthatch

There's a pheasant shoot (huge / Arab owned) about a mile from me and the consequential Buzzards were commonplace........now moved on by very graceful Red Kites....hardly see a Buzzard now. I guess there's a needle about territories.

I do wish folks would stop encouraging Red Kites into gardens by feeding.   

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    Lots of the usual, plus red kites by the dozen, saw a green woodpecker the other day and loads of bats.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9553
    edited October 2021
    Since my original post we’ve moved to rural Wiltshire and can add…

kites
    buzzards
    green woodpeckers
    pheasants
    kestrels 
    bullfinches
    sparrowhawks
    jackdaws
    rooks
    stonechats
    missal thrushes

… to the list.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    I seem to be hosting the national collection of house sparrows.
    Grab shot, not showing the other half of the gang that are on the feeders & in the shrubbery...

• DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    FarleyUK said:
    We've got sh*tloads of Red Kites round here (High Wycombe). They were re-introduced to the Chilterns several years ago and are all over the place now.

Also saw a green woodpecker on our walk this morning, which was pretty awesome; never seen one before.
    Between Harpenden and High Wycombe across the Chilterns is Kite central ; very normal to see 20 or 30 in the air above A41 going into Aylesbury.
    They have been scaring my chickens recently ( I'm just into Herts ) but no attack as yet although if we had chicks free ranging they would be on those in seconds i'm sure.
    We get very diverse wild birds amongst the more unusual ,Parakeets, Kestrel, numeous woodpeckers of all types,ENGLISH partridge which is actually rare compared to the red legged French Partridge , a pair of Hawaian Geese which I know live in Golders Hill Park in NW 11 who by chance I saw on a pond in Highgate yesterday ( they seem to get around ) .
    We have a few white Barn Owls which I see in the evening hunting the hedgerows but the most unusual I have seen was an huge Eagle Owl ( 10 years ago ) it had traces on it's legs so I can assume it was an escapee - it hung around for a few days.
      We looked after 3 Rheas for a friend for a month but they don't count although I saw one of them chase a Fox .
    See a lot of Herons fly over which my youngest daughter thought was a vulture !
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    I'm a terrible photographer and it's been mostly manky magpies and squirrels of late. 

There are buzzards over Clent so if we look in the right direction at the right time we can see them in the distance.

My office is almost surrounded by countryside but close to the M5 so Red Kites aren't uncommon. One day I was driving down the slip road onto the M5 and one flew across the front of the car, quite bizarre. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    Just the usual countryside birds mentioned by others. Some have mentioned the Robin - very aggressive little beggar, very territorial and won't normally tolerate its own species :) 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    Rather different here, as you would imagine. Not many bird species most of you will recognise, and those that you do know are mostly feral pests in this part of the world. But we are lucky to live on 20 acres and have a fair selection of birds - not nearly as many as we would get further north (on the mainland, which has many more species) - and a great list of native mammals.

Pacific Black Duck
    Grey Teal
    Chestnut Teal
    Australian Wood Duck
    Hoary-headed Grebe
    Common Bronzewing
    Shining Bronze-cuckoo
    Fan-tailed Cuckoo
    Pallid Cuckoo
    Tawny Frogmouth
    Tasmanian Native-hen 
    Masked Lapwing
    White-necked Heron
    White-faced Heron
    Great Cormorant
    Little Black Cormorant
    Wedge-tailed Eagle
    Little Eagle
    Swamp Harrier
    Grey Goshawk
    Brown Goshawk
    Collared Sparrowhawk
    White-bellied Sea Eagle
    Powerful Owl
    Southern Boobook
    Laughing Kookaburra
    Brown Falcon
    Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo
    Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
    Green Rosella
    Superb Fairy-wren
    Eastern Spinebill
    Yellow-throated Honeyeater
    Yellow Wattlebird
    Crescent Honeyeater
    New Holland Honeyeater
    Striated Pardalote
    Tasmanian Scrubwren
    Brown Thornbill
    Olive Whistler
    Grey Shrike-thrush
    Dusky Woodswallow
    Grey Butcherbird
    Black Currawong
    Grey Currawong
    Grey Fantail
    Forest Raven
    Scarlet Robin
    Flame Robin
    Pink Robin
    Dusky Robin
    Beautiful Firetail
    House Sparrow
    Australasian Pipit
    European Goldfinch
    Welcome Swallow
    Silvereye
    Common Blackbird
    Common Starling

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11306
    Wood pigeons (loads of them), jackdaws (loads of them), crows, rooks, jays, buzzards, red kites, kestrels, herons - plus the usual sparrows of various types, blackbirds, starlings, robins.  Plenty of swifts, swallows and house martens in the summer.  Little egrets in winter.  Various types of tern on the lakes (Cotswold Water Park) plus cormorants and plentiful waterfowl.  Glimpsed a kingfisher by the river that runs through our village.  A visiting shrike brought all the twitchers out a couple of years back.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    edited October 2021
    Here is an example - the Tasmanian Scrubwren.

And another: the Tasmanian Native-hen, endemic flightless rails universally known as "turbo chooks" because they can run really fast (50km/h). 

A young pair of these has just moved onto the property and taken up a territory on the edge of the dam. They get along fine with the ducks but are very feisty little things. A Great Cormorant landed here this week (a vastly bigger bird than any rail)  and one of the turbo chooks promptly saw it off the property. (They do a sort of Bruce Lee thing with their feet - big vertical leap and zam!) They also see off the currawongs and ravens - anything which might take a fancy to their eggs or young. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16014
    I'm guessing they are a type of Moorhen or Coote
    Apparently Ravens are making a big comeback in SW England and not so unusual now
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    Dominic said:
    I'm guessing they are a type of Moorhen or Coote
    Apparently Ravens are making a big comeback in SW England and not so unusual now
    pretty common in NW Devon, used to see them (and hear them, lovely big noise they make) all the time.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.