Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Fender CS Relic 1960 Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    edited September 2020
    Bump with a price drop. Yeah, it's got no COA but look at it. Beautiful CS 1960 Strat. Absolute cracker.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    Hattigol said:
    Bump with a price drop. Yeah, it's got no COA but look at it. Beautiful CS 1960 Strat. Absolute cracker.
    Is there any way of getting a replacement COA? Even if you have to pay for it?
    LPManic said:
    Hattigol said:
    Possibly. But it certainly wouldn't be £1,800 if it had one!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • LPManic said:
    Hattigol said:
    Yes, take it into a dealer, they confrim its genuine - mew one issued - £70-£80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManic said:
    Hattigol said:
    When Fender issue a replacement COA it’s dated according to the day it’s issued rather than the date when the guitar was originally made, which is not ideal imho. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5624
    edited September 2020
    COAs are so pointless yet such a pain in the arse when they go missing - the silliest development in the high-end guitar market for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    COAs are so pointless yet such a pain in the arse when they go missing - the silliest development in the high-end guitar market for sure.
    Agreed. I have included plenty of internal pictures showing that the guitar is without doubt genuine. But to some, a 6 x 3 piece of paper is all that matters - each to their own, I suppose.

With a COA, I would be asking at least £2,200 for this. A German dealer had what I think was an identical one for sale at £2,785 on Reverb, and that has now sold.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2859
    edited September 2020
    Personal experience of replacement Coa -

So, someone sold me a Cs strat about three years ago - and forgot to mention it had no Coa.

It had email correspondence between a shop and Fender, with internal photos of the strat, which he'd supplied previously. 

The guy just said, Fender will supply a new Coa for 50 quid. 

I went to a retailer and after a couple of months received a replacement Coa. 

To my surprise, it was dated as the original production date and not the new issue date. 

Cheers @bgmartinsbridge - much appreciated. 

I think I'll start the process. I'll update the advert (and the price!) if I get the COA sorted. 
    Now temporarily withdrawn. The lovely Doug at Coda is contacting Fender for me about the COA. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    edited September 2020
    Sorry I asked the question! Would have bought it for £1800 or thereabouts! Hopefully you get the COA. Lovely guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LPManic said:
    Sorry I asked the question! Would have bought it for £1800! Hopefully you get the COA. Lovely guitar.
    Sorry @LPManic ;

First refusal when it goes back up if you want it - hopefully complete with a small piece of card worth around £400!

Doug thinks that given the age, it is probably a Time Machine Series guitar, so vintage spec with Custom 60’s pickups. He says that the flatter radius on a catalogue guitar didn’t become standard until 2007/8.

Trying to get the Floor Traveller too but I don't think Fender have them that far back.
  • As you know, I was interested in this guitar too, but without even those educated guesses coming from Doug at Coda, it's hard (for me) to invest in a guitar that I'd be buying blind in nearly every respect.  It would be different of course if I could play it, but that's not really possible.  In terms of the COA, it's not that it's important in terms of establishing whether it's a genuine CS guitar - that's pretty obvious, but it's the hassle involved in selling it without one to the market in general should the moment arrive.  I think this is what you've probably been experiencing too?
    thebreeze said:
    As you know, I was interested in this guitar too, but without even those educated guesses coming from Doug at Coda, it's hard (for me) to invest in a guitar that I'd be buying blind in nearly every respect.  It would be different of course if I could play it, but that's not really possible.  In terms of the COA, it's not that it's important in terms of establishing whether it's a genuine CS guitar - that's pretty obvious, but it's the hassle involved in selling it without one to the market in general should the moment arrive.  I think this is what you've probably been experiencing too?
    Thanks @thebreeze It would indeed have been a blind purchase but the pictures were pretty detailed. Plus, I'm not sure where you are exactly but I do travel around and I'd have been more than happy to have met you somewhere so you could try it out - no obligation at all. Offer will still be there - to you and anyone else - as and when it goes back up for sale.

As for hassle, I seem to attract tyre-kickers whatever type of guitar I am selling! Some people - not you, I might add - seem to just like engaging with people about the guitars they are selling with no interest in buying whatsoever. Nature of the beast, I suppose...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9263
    FWIW, I think the issue with your ad was the lack of spec, not the coa.

I took a look and had no doubt it was genuine and personally I didn’t care about the coa.

I could make a guess about the specs for a 2003 guitar - 7.25 radius, vintage frets, 60s pickups (would have been machine wound back then probably), probably a 60s oval neck, but that’s a lot of guessing on an almost 2k investment. 

It looks a lovely guitar, but I think you need Fender to get you the specs. If you email their customer services, they generally come back within 48 hours
    Thanks @chris78 ;

You may be right but I can't give what I don't have. I had emailed Fender for info but they weren't able to give me anything with the guitar being 17 years old. So, I was kind of stuck.

The neck is a 60s oval but the rest of it, I'm not sure, to be honest. Maybe Doug will have more joy.

At the end of the day, it was a gorgeous CS relic at £1,800 but nobody went for it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14165
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:
    Hattigol said:
    When Fender issue a replacement COA it’s dated according to the day it’s issued rather than the date when the guitar was originally made, which is not ideal imho. 
    correct about the date on a new COA - date will be today's date - Fender want a host of pics before they will issue one - If they have any signed blank coa's in the UK then quick to get one - If it comes from California then can be ages, especially with very staff in at the factory these days with covid issues
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2859
    edited September 2020
    I must have been lucky then Mark, I wonder who it was ;-) 
    Which dealer sorted yours for you, Brad? Thought yours was backdated.
  • Mine was def backdated by Fender.

I'll pm you the name of the dealer.