Grooveboxes

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    That's a great video Jim, 13minutes into it and already got ideas for changing my workflow. Thanks for posting.
    No worries- I've posted it before.
    Frankly it was life changing for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    octatonic said:
    @octatonic I def see what you're saying how'ver the mpc live is a portable DAW with that flexibility in a portable system,, the op1 has approx 4 different sequencers but has a very specific sound which will certainly not be for everyone,

Its very true (for all instruments) that the idea is the fundamental foundation and if that's crap no tech will help how'ver, you have to find what works for you and until you try a few grooveboxes you wont know what does. 
    The MPC live worked for me because it was a daw in a box, and I enjoyed going from Cubase to mpc, 
    However for quickly laying down a few beats you can't beat something more basic like a tr8s  or groove box but for serious song recording they are pretty limited other than a sketchbook, however for when inspiration strikes, you csnt beat them 
    I'm definitely up for experimenting with different boxes- but the buy/sell/buy/sell fandango doesn't get most people very far. It all depends why someone is changing a piece of gear out- is it because you can't make it do what you want, or because it cannot do what you want.

So, yeah find the thing that allows you to express your ideas and this might require a bit of experimentation but if a person finds themselves spending more time on the minutiae then that is a symptom of what can be called 'majoring in minor things'.

Anyhoo- I would suggest the Digitakt as an option, although the OP has said it is out of budget. Perhaps buy used.
    It doesn't have a song mode but if you are happy to track it into a DAW and arrange songs that way then it will be a great option.

Tacking on to what @octatonic has said, the only way I learned how to use Maschine and even begin exploring its potential (never mind vsts) was digging into the germanic manual, page by page, exercise by excercise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    @octatonic I def see what you're saying how'ver the mpc live is a portable DAW with that flexibility in a portable system,, the op1 has approx 4 different sequencers but has a very specific sound which will certainly not be for everyone,

Its very true (for all instruments) that the idea is the fundamental foundation and if that's crap no tech will help how'ver, you have to find what works for you and until you try a few grooveboxes you wont know what does. 
    The MPC live worked for me because it was a daw in a box, and I enjoyed going from Cubase to mpc, 
    However for quickly laying down a few beats you can't beat something more basic like a tr8s  or groove box but for serious song recording they are pretty limited other than a sketchbook, however for when inspiration strikes, you csnt beat them 
    I'm definitely up for experimenting with different boxes- but the buy/sell/buy/sell fandango doesn't get most people very far. It all depends why someone is changing a piece of gear out- is it because you can't make it do what you want, or because it cannot do what you want.

So, yeah find the thing that allows you to express your ideas and this might require a bit of experimentation but if a person finds themselves spending more time on the minutiae then that is a symptom of what can be called 'majoring in minor things'.

Anyhoo- I would suggest the Digitakt as an option, although the OP has said it is out of budget. Perhaps buy used.
    It doesn't have a song mode but if you are happy to track it into a DAW and arrange songs that way then it will be a great option.

Tacking on to what @octatonic has said, the only way I learned how to use Maschine and even begin exploring its potential (never mind vsts) was digging into the germanic manual, page by page, exercise by excercise.
    Yep, this is the way to do it.
    I keep a list of tasks in paper notebook.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Anything MPC-ish out there that might take your fancy?

I'm thinking of getting one myself.
    Never really fancied an MPC but will check them out. Any in particular catch your eye? 
    https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-one

Might be over budget tbh, but looks amazing!
    That does look cool. 

It did make me wonder if I'd just be better off investing the time in learning Ableton Live properly instead. I don't really need the portability or performance features of MPC...
    Ah okay, so you've got Live? Then maybe you'd wanna look at getting a Push2 instead then? Gives you tons of hands on flexibility, and you can treat it as a basic sequencer if you want, or you can go hogwild recording in automation envelopes and different scenes and what not.

I think Jim is right though - you do need to spend time with this stuff and really commit to learning it through and through. I had a Digitakt btw and it isn't what I would call "intuitive".
    I have Live Lite, which taught me that I rather liked Ableton but I remember now there were things I wanted to do that I couldn't without the more complete versions. 

Once the kids stop harrassing me about Lego I'm going to watch more Maschine videos but I think its far more up my street than the Circuit was (which is a great unit btw). @octatonic is totally right that the problem is me more than the gear but with hindsight the Circuit isn't aimed at what I want to do, really. 

edited June 2020
    I have Live Lite, which taught me that I rather liked Ableton but I remember now there were things I wanted to do that I couldn't without the more complete versions. 

Once the kids stop harrassing me about Lego I'm going to watch more Maschine videos but I think its far more up my street than the Circuit was (which is a great unit btw). @octatonic is totally right that the problem is me more than the gear but with hindsight the Circuit isn't aimed at what I want to do, really. 

I don't know if this helps or not but it isn't just you- we all go through it.
    Imposing your will on a piece of dumb technology that has its own limitations is really, really tough.

I look at it as an instrument in itself and in all honesty it is only the last couple of years I've felt like I am on top of it.
    There are countless times over the last 30 or so years of doing this where I've wanted to throw things in the trash and go and do something else.

Here are a few points I accept as true for the purposes of how I work with technology- I realise some of these contradict others.

1. My first idea is generally my best idea.
    2. If I stop for a break I have to realise I might be stopping any further development of that idea permanently.
    3. If in doubt, pick up a pen and paper.
    4. If still in doubt, sing it to yourself, then notate the singing and build the harmony from there.
    5. Don't try to learn a piece of technology and write a song at the same time.
    6. Adding a distorted thing makes the clean things sound more clean.
    7. Adding a clean thing in makes the distorted things more distorted.
    8. If I'm not humming it later that day then it probably sucked.
    9. Overworking something is sure way to choke the life out of it. You aren't making it better, you are just making it different.
    10. You don't really finish anything- you give up on it.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2020

Eh? I leaned the basics in one hour on YouTube and then improved from there. I didn't bother with the manual. There's so much good content online. And if you want in in-depth course Groove 3 do one for about £10.

This guy has a whole course on line .. part one:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Fretwired said:

Eh? I leaned the basics in one hour on YouTube and then improved from there. I didn't bother with the manual. There's so much good content online. And if you want in in-depth course Groove 3 do one for about £10.
    Tried videos, in depth course but find it cumbersome to learn through video, holding a piece of gear and sometimes having to look at DAW/Maschine at the same time. A lot of the videos I've seen (even in depth ones) don't go in-depth as the manual does. Functional, sure, and much more of a quick start approach. Maschine manual is about 1k pages and the 'quick start' guide something like 300 pages. I suppose it's just a matter of learning styles, but given the complexity of the thing, I enjoy getting to know its ins and outs and find the manual to be a very clear and well written, step by step path that teaches and ingrains through practice a lot of very cool little tips.
    I also prefer reading manuals to following along to videos.

There is a trick I figured out with e-manuals which is to have two copies open. One for following in sequential page order and another for flitting between pages.
    It is really good for complicated devices like Elektron boxes or Deluge, MPC etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have to confess to killing trees by printing manuals out, but two copies at once is a good idea. 

For anyone following the saga I went for a Maschine Mikro, gets me the hardware immediacy of the Mikro with the DAW capabilities of Maschine. Intention is to try and learn them both inside out. 
  • I was gonna buy gear, but then I thought fuck it, and paid my credit card off :lol:

Bye!

I was gonna buy gear, but then I thought fuck it, and paid my credit card off :lol:
    I'm done for a bit too.
    Although I did just buy a Deluge, so my plate is full.
    I was gonna buy gear, but then I thought fuck it, and paid my credit card off :lol:
    Quite right. I never buy gear on credit, there be dragons...
  • I was gonna buy gear, but then I thought fuck it, and paid my credit card off :lol:
    Quite right. I never buy gear on credit, there be dragons...
    It's from 2018 when I got my Apollo x8p. I got a pretty decent discount from a store so I didn't pay the £2800 they were asking at launch, but it was north of £2000 ! Whacked it on a card and have been paying it off since.

Bye!

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    @octatonic how are you finding the deluge? It is worth a buy? 
    @octatonic how are you finding the deluge? It is worth a buy? 
    Hasn't turned up yet- it should be here in a day or so.
  • My next purchase will either be a Behringer X-Touch or a Presonus Faderport 8.

Bye!

• jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Paging @jackio for his Cycles experience... :-)
    Ah! Sorry missed this. 

Really enjoyed my M:C and it got me well versed in beats. Bought a Digitakt and have hardly used M:C. Lent it to a friend but think I may soon sell it. For money  :o

Soooo, Digitakt would be my recommendation. However, M:C or Digitakt are resealable for what you bought them for or very near. Love making beats and tunes on them..
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Aaaand, way too late, enjoy the Maschine Mikro @UnclePsychosis ;

Hardware beat machines, the way to go (if you are me)
    My next purchase will either be a Behringer X-Touch or a Presonus Faderport 8.
    Nice. Control surfaces are one of those "can see why people need them but I'd begrudge paying money for them" things for me. 
  • My next purchase will either be a Behringer X-Touch or a Presonus Faderport 8.
    Nice. Control surfaces are one of those "can see why people need them but I'd begrudge paying money for them" things for me. 
    Ditto, which is why I'm gulping a little! But I've got a Behry BCF2000 and have been riding faders like I ride da poonani, and it's really given me a taste.

Bye!