any advice as to starting to understand synths(korg volca fm incoming).

i am a complete novice when it comes to anything synth,but have wanted a synth for a while now.

i just ordered a korg volca fm synth today from amazon as i heard a lot of good things about them (a full on synth at a price i could afford,also love brian eno and know he loves the dx7).

not being brian eno (or very bright/musically gifted) where the hell should i begin with trying to understand how to use it? the videos i have watched on yt about the korg sound like an algebra test lol.

is there any advice you can offer an idiot as to where to begin with synths and how to begin to get to grips with understanding how to use the volca fm in numpty speak if possible.

thanks in advance :-)

ps i love all types of synth music from erasure to nin and ambient soundscapes/brian eno,vangelis etc.

pps am willing to wear a cape if it helps.

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Well, FM's a weird one to start with. It always seemed a bit more mathematical than general subtractive synthesis to me, so your "algebra" quip sounds about right. :)

There will certainly be some very good FM synthesis tutorials on YT.

I downloaded an iPad app that was supposed to teach me, but I never really got anywhere musical with it. Confess that I also used the FM side of the Yamaha Montage as a preset machine, too. :( But I do fiddle with the FM side of the Nord Lead 3 from time to time. Bit hit-n-miss for my skillset.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12879
    The Volca FM uses FM Synthesis which is quite complicated to understand in comparison to something like Subtractive or Additive Synthesis. The Volca Keys is a lot easier to understand but sounds completely different to an FM synth. 

For an FM synth I'd start off just playing with presets that other people have written and then tweaking to see what it does to the sound. Starting from a blank patch will be frustrating I should think.

For really 'learning' FM Synthesis I think you need a judicious bit of googling and reading. Eventually you'll find an explanation that sticks. However you should be warned that lots of people just end up treating FM synths as a mystery box of presets :-)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    I did a Udemy course to learn how a synth works ...

There are loads of choices there, and most have free intro/demo lessons so you can try them and see if you like how it’s presented.

Just don’t pay full price.  Sign up to Udemy and most courses get reduced to £11.99 periodically.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7669

I bought a "book" for my Volca Modular which has proved very useful - there's one for the FM too, reviewed here:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/07/27/korg-volca-fm-the-expert-guide/ 

If it's anything like the Modular book it'll be full of example settings to get you started.

You can get it from Apple and Google.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 992
    thanks all for the tips :-)

when i get it i just plan on messing around with the knobs,buttons and seeing what happens to begin with.

unfortunately no pc at present so cannot download any sounds but plan on getting a cheap laptop sometime.

will definitely attempt some vangelis (badly) as it has to be done.

i wonder if i could plug my guitar/bass into it and see what happens but i doubt anything will (thinking using the volca like an effects pedal).

apologies for being a numpty lol
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12879

i wonder if i could plug my guitar/bass into it and see what happens but i doubt anything will (thinking using the volca like an effects pedal).

apologies for being a numpty lol
    There's no way to do that with a Volca FM. Sorry... 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    goldtop said:
    Confess that I also used the FM side of the Yamaha Montage as a preset machine, too. :( But I do fiddle with the FM side of the Nord Lead 3 from time to time. Bit hit-n-miss for my skillset.
    This pretty much describes my modus operandi with the Rob Papen Blue II software synthesizer. (A hybrid of Frequency Modulation and Phase Distortion.)

Browse the presets, select something close to what you require, tweak away.
    Be seeing you.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 992
    well i got the fm yesterday and have been playing it on/off since i got it. 

it definitely has been an experience starting to get to grips with it (seriously not a clue what i am doing) but man some of the sounds it can produce are bloody great.

have just been playing it and trying to learn how to use the sequencer and it was sounding like a track from tetsuo the iron man film score :-) really industrial sounding. was also getting john carpenter type sounds and ambient sounds too.

this little synth is bloody great :-D

now i just need to learn how to play.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4079
    I had a Volca FM , you can import real dx7 patches into it, the original ones are easy to find on the net. It works well with the Roland midi/usb cable I got mine from Andertons. I was also able to use it with my iPad and use apps to play through it. I don’t have it now but it works well