Michael McDonald - If That's What It Takes (Album)

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 982

Ever since listening to Steve Lukather's autobiography (In February) I've been hooked on this album.  From the book I knew Steve Lukather played on it but never really checked out how many songs he played on (it's 5) or who else was involved in the making of the album. I didn't realise how many session greats played on it:

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-McDonald-If-Thats-What-It-Takes/release/531795

The biggest single from the album, I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near) has his sister singing backing vocals, which I thought was a neat touch.

My favourite songs are I Can Let Go Now & Love Lies (Track 3). Remember walking around the park at lunch time listening to it & thinking for weeks he was singing "Love Lasts" & then I checked the song title! 

Anyone else a fan or hater? I realise this album wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    A truly great voice imo - one of those people who could ‘sing the phone book’ and still get to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    A great singer song writer with an instantly recognisable voice. I need to check out that album.

There's a nice section with Michael McDonald in the 'Making Of Peg' video at 6:20 below.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    I loved his stuff on Minute by Minute by Doobie Bros, in fact i didn't like the doobies much without him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Legend and a classic record. I finally caught MMcD live in Boston a few years ago, what a killer show and what a voice.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5414
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    edited July 2020

I haven't got any of his records but I do really like his voice.  I have got the 7" single of What A Fool Believes by the Doobie Brothers.

duotone said:
    I didn't realise how many session greats played on it:

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-McDonald-If-Thats-What-It-Takes/release/531795

When you look at those session musician credits, it's pretty much exactly who you'd expect, but it's still a remarkable who's-who.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958

I'd have paid the entry ticket just to see this track. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Yep, a fan of MM and the album.

I've seen him live several times and he was superb, as was the band and their collective and individual voices.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I’m another big fan of his vocals. I’ve got a little story:

Back in my early 20s I was in a band that did a lot of harmony vocals. One of the guys had a great distinctive voice and could also hit the high notes with ease. I moved on and a few years later was listening to the radio when I heard a very recognisable voice. It had to be my ex band mate John. So I tracked down the recording and was puzzled to find that the vocals were by someone called Michael McDonald. Surely a mistake because it was definitely John’s voice. But no, two guys either side of the Atlantic but both with exactly the same voice. Uncanny.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    I'm not an obsessive fan, but everything I've heard him on has been excellent. And, as mentioned above, his contribution to Steely Dan's Aja is amazing. I've just got the MacDonald album on now...

Speaking of Lukather, he appears on an album by one of my favourite bands - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rEVVAw3-0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    I’m a huge Mush mouth fan thanks to my Dad’s love of the Doobies, steely dan and MM’s solo stuff. I don’t think he’s really done much that’s terrible. 

His work with the Doobies is excellent and the Farewell Tour album (with them cutting the guitar strings on the cover) is on of my favourite openings to any album. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14216
    tFB Trader
    Watch the Doobie Bros documentary and he came across as a shy guy who did not believe he had a voice or ability as a song writer - I love the laid back style of him and much of his work
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    guitars4you said:
    Watch the Doobie Bros documentary and he came across as a shy guy who did not believe he had a voice or ability as a song writer - I love the laid back style of him and much of his work
    Is that Let the music play or Behind the music? @guitars4you ;

A great singer song writer with an instantly recognisable voice. I need to check out that album.

There's a nice section with Michael McDonald in the 'Making Of Peg' video at 6:20 below.

I remember seeing that before, from the Aja making of.  Great clip that one.
    exocet said:

I'd have paid the entry ticket just to see this track. 
    Blasting this out now, cheers!
    Jimbro66 said:

Back in my early 20s I was in a band that did a lot of harmony vocals. One of the guys had a great distinctive voice and could also hit the high notes with ease. I moved on and a few years later was listening to the radio when I heard a very recognisable voice. It had to be my ex band mate John. So I tracked down the recording and was puzzled to find that the vocals were by someone called Michael McDonald. Surely a mistake because it was definitely John’s voice. But no, two guys either side of the Atlantic but both with exactly the same voice. Uncanny.
    Am gonna need to hear him! Any stuff available on Youtube/Spotify? @Jimbro66 ;

I'm not an obsessive fan, but everything I've heard him on has been excellent. And, as mentioned above, his contribution to Steely Dan's Aja is amazing. I've just got the MacDonald album on now...

Speaking of Lukather, he appears on an album by one of my favourite bands - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rEVVAw3-0

Thanks @MartinBush ;
    Thats a cool song, I'm sure Lukather mentioned working with this band in his book, but I cannot remember.  Definitely one of those audiobooks that I will revisit.
    joneve said:
    I’m a huge Mush mouth fan thanks to my Dad’s love of the Doobies, steely dan and MM’s solo stuff. I don’t think he’s really done much that’s terrible. 

His work with the Doobies is excellent and the Farewell Tour album (with them cutting the guitar strings on the cover) is on of my favourite openings to any album. 
    Cheers @joneve ;
    Will checkout that album.  Its on Spotify, 17 tracks ;0)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited July 2020
    duotone said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Am gonna need to hear him! Any stuff available on Youtube/Spotify? @Jimbro66 ;;

I don’t know @duotone. We’re talking about nearly 35 years ago - no You Tube, no Internet! I used to have recordings of that band but unfortunately they’re long since lost. The last I heard of that singer he’d gone to university to study economics so he’s probably a wealthy man now D 

Apart from being an outstanding singer he was also the best rhythm guitarist I have ever worked with.
    Jimbro66 said:
    duotone said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Am gonna need to hear him! Any stuff available on Youtube/Spotify? @Jimbro66 ;;

I don’t know @duotone. We’re talking about nearly 35 years ago - no You Tube, no Internet! I used to have recordings of that band but unfortunately they’re long since lost. The last I heard of that singer he’d gone to university to study economics so he’s probably a wealthy man now D 

Apart from being an outstanding singer he was also the best rhythm guitarist I have ever worked with.
    Some people have all the luck!