Rat type pedal with no distortion for Jazz sound.

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
edited June 2014 in FX
I've been experimenting with Rat type guitar pedal circuits that have an opamp and a jfet, I've removed the clipping and changed the tone stack to give a nice Jazz type boost circuit.

Here's the Rat circuit schematic, in my circuit I removed the clipping distortion and changed the tone stack to be more Jazzy.
"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I believe the Deucetone RAT has a mode called "Clean RAT" which is presumably something similar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    Why would anyone want a RAT with no distortion? :D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Why would anyone want a RAT with no distortion? :D
    Presumably for the same reason they seem to want to use expensive overdrive pedals as clean boosts.

I don't get it either…!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    ^ + ^^ :))

(I use ods as clean boosts but not expensive ones)

Sounds nice, though.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader

It does sound great, convincing fat jazz tones.

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    Sounds really cool. Do you have any demos where you play "clean" and then with the pedal on so we can hear the differences?
    Good Idea, why didn't I think of that?

I think it's a nice Jazzy type clean boost circuit, the opamp, jfet and tone stack all colour the sound and add something extra.

Thanks
    Guy
  • GuyBoden;276150" said:
    badgerific said:

Sounds really cool. Do you have any demos where you play "clean" and then with the pedal on so we can hear the differences?

I think it's a nice Jazzy type clean boost circuit, the opamp, jfet and tone stack all colour the sound and add something extra.

Thanks

Guy
    Don't tell anyone it's not transparent. Instead, market it as a magical clean boost that adds 'sparkle' and make a few bob :)
    GuyBoden;276150" said:
    badgerific said:

Thanks

Guy
    Don't tell anyone it's not transparent. Instead, market it as a magical clean boost that adds 'sparkle' and make a few bob :)
    I only build these circuits for a bit of fun, I don't sell anything, I'm too busy, but if I did, yes, it's a clean, fuzzless, sparkle, fat, Jazz Rat.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    'Clean' is an illusion.
    octatonic said:
    'Clean' is an illusion.
    Quite true, there is no clean, words can't convey the sound of sound.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Writing about music is like dancing about architecture, as they say...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    What did you mod the tone value(s) to ?

edited June 2014
    What did you mod the tone value(s) to ?
    I changed C1 and C9 to 0.1uF and completely redesigned the gain resistor circuit and feed back loop, I try different values and pick what I think sounds best.;;)
    Interesting, different values, presumably R4 & R5 ?   Any additional component changes in the loop?

edited June 2014

Interesting, different values, presumably R4 & R5 ?   Any additional component changes in the loop?
    I removed R4 and R5 and put in a trimmer, so I could adjust for a nice clean fat sound. I put a fixed 100K resistor in the feedback loop. Give it a try, you might like it. ;)
    Thanks, I may well give it a try   :)

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

Sorry this isn't a criticism, just clearing up what may be a misunderstanding in either my reading of this read or what you did.  I'm a bit confused by what you mean by modding the tone stack.  C1 & C9's corner frequency in the Rat circuit is already so low that any increase would be inaudible.  C8 is the only capacitor that effects the tones tack per se.  Any change in range your are experiencing is from the resistance changes in R4 & R5 - so you are not changing the range entering or exiting the circuit, but moving the peak of the boost range in the op-amps feedback loops.

Obviously if you are building something from scratch then it doesn't matter what values you choose to alter but just wanted to clear up that if someone has a pre-existing Rat and thinks that changing C1 & C9 will open up the range in any way, it will not.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    edited June 2014

Sorry this isn't a criticism, just clearing up what may be a misunderstanding in either my reading of this read or what you did.  I'm a bit confused by what you mean by modding the tone stack.  C1 & C9's corner frequency in the Rat circuit is already so low that any increase would be inaudible.  C8 is the only capacitor that effects the tones tack per se.  Any change in range your are experiencing is from the resistance changes in R4 & R5 - so you are not changing the range entering or exiting the circuit, but moving the peak of the boost range in the op-amps feedback loops.

Obviously if you are building something from scratch then it doesn't matter what values you choose to alter but just wanted to clear up that if someone has a pre-existing Rat and thinks that changing C1 & C9 will open up the range in any way, it will not.

Yes I agree, changing the feedback loop's gain resistors effects the tone a lot. I breadboarded this circuit, it's not a Rat pedal, so I tried quite a few cap values and found that using 0.1uf, especially in C1 changes the tone, it has more lower frequencies.

The "Tone" evidence is in the sound clip, what Rat pedal sounds like this?