NUWPD - New Under-Whelming Pedal Day

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 761
So I thought today's arrival was going to get me all giddy and might end my search for a low-medium gain drive pedal to help boost my amp, but it's let me feeling a wee bit deflated. This is the culprit:

I've got a Tim clone already, and a Dano TOD V1, but with all the hype and the fact that this pedal has the smoother LM1458 chip, I was expecting just a little more magic than the two clones, but I'm sad to say, I just wasn't feeling it.

I've only been playing at bedroom volumes tonight, so I'm hoping that when I can really open my amp up, the pedal will start to shine a little.

Anyone else feel the same about the Timmy? Over-hyped?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    There is no secret mojo sauce. A clone is going to sound very much like the original I'm afraid. 

This is why the owners of Mooer and Joyo probably have a Scrooge McDuck style money swiming pool. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I had the same with the two standard Timmy's I had (I bought one, sold it, then thought I'd try it again so bought another, then sold that one as well). However the one with the different chip has become a keeper, maybe I've forced myself to like it, of course it's not magic but as a low/mid drive I really like it. I had a similar relationship with the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine, I went through a few of those (I don't currently own one).
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Nice colour though.

Actually I always loved my Tim.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
    ....and defiantly wait till you've tried it at gig volumes. Also are you aware how the eq controls work? They're cut controls so turned fully counterclockwise is normal, then as you turn them clockwise it cuts either treble or bass. Don't do the usual start at noon and work there.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Ive had two. Always thought them a bit meh???
    Ive got an original Timmy chip you can have if you wanna try the original one?
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 761
    ....and defiantly wait till you've tried it at gig volumes. Also are you aware how the eq controls work? They're cut controls so turned fully counterclockwise is normal, then as you turn them clockwise it cuts either treble or bass. Don't do the usual start at noon and work there.
    yeah, I'm all clued up on the controls, they're the same on the Tim clone I've got too

allicio said:
    Ive had two. Always thought them a bit meh???
    Ive got an original Timmy chip you can have if you wanna try the original one?
    I'm sure the TOD V1 and my Tim clone are probably similar to the original chip, they sound very slightly different.

Maybe it just doesn't suit my amp? I'm running into a JVM410h, and much prefer my Kinglsayer (modded Klon clone)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

I think they sound great through loud, clean Fenders. Not the best at bedroom volume, I prefer a SHOD for that.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3091
    tFB Trader
    Timmy alone I don't have a lot of use for, but he's ace when something's pushing him. I have a Zen clone, MI Audio Super Blues Pro and HT Dual. He transforms the Zen from a dull waste of board space into something full and lively. The others he gives different tone shaping and boost to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I would have suggested the Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria as I have just built one, and to my ears it's amazing at the low-mid gain stuff. I have read that it is similar to a Timmy though, so maybe not a good choice.

The forum pedal of choice for this seems to be the Liquid Sunshine.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    Yep, stick pedals into it. Lots of goodness there. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited June 2014
    I bloody love my Dano TOD Timmy clone... even up against more exotic bretheren it does a nicer job!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The Timmy never did owt for me, personally. Did nothing spectacular at low volumes and pretty much sounded like a Blues Driver at higher volumes. I don't think I had the right amps fornit the time, though (18w Breaker clone, Blues Jr, Jazzkat). I'm absolutely in the minority, though.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 761
    Well I'm joining you @JDE, as I've sold it on already!
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    I love mine!  Sounds superb on every amp - stacked with a zen drive is glorious! 

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"