Shure Green Bullet 520DX Mic with a mixer

I’m looking to connect one of these up to my 8 channel Mackie mixer to add a bit of character to vocals. Because the green bullet is a high impedance mic do I need to get a Shure A95U impedance converter for it to work with my mixer? I know it’s best to use the green bullet with a small valve amp to get that vintage radio vibe but would it still sound the same through a mixer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    Depending on your mixer I would recommend you get the impedance matcher, if your desk has line in on jacks you can use that but you will have to up the gain to get it to work which may cause feedback issues.  O it won’t sound the same as if you put it through a valve amp, you won’t get that natural breakup you do through valves, a distortion pedal between mic and desk may work for you but be very careful of levels into the desk as it’s very easy to damage them with too much input gain. If the meters are green your good yellow ok ish red your dead!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
    Depending on your mixer I would recommend you get the impedance matcher, if your desk has line in on jacks you can use that but you will have to up the gain to get it to work which may cause feedback issues.  O it won’t sound the same as if you put it through a valve amp, you won’t get that natural breakup you do through valves, a distortion pedal between mic and desk may work for you but be very careful of levels into the desk as it’s very easy to damage them with too much input gain. If the meters are green your good yellow ok ish red your dead!
    Thank you @maltingsaudio my Mackie as seen in the pic below has XLR inputs with onyx preamps as well as line inputs below. It looks like this Shure (A95U) impedance convector has a male XLR connection at one end, I assume I plug the XLR end straight into the XLR inputs on the mixer? 

edited July 2020
    Yes @builttospill ;; the impedance matcher will be male xlr to jack socket and that can go into any channel. You could use the line in on a channel but as I said watch the input gain
    youcould also put a distortion pedal on the aux send and bring it back into another channel for more control of break up
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
    Yes @builttospill ;; the impedance matcher will be male xlr to jack socket and that can go into any channel. You could use the line in on a channel but as I said watch the input gain
    youcould also put a distortion pedal on the aux send and bring it back into another channel for more control of break up
    Great stuff! rather than buy a Shure bullet mic couldn’t I just use a dynamic mic like an SM58 or AKG D5 and use my HX Stomp in the Aux send? I could then use the HX stomps amp and cab sims as well as the distortions to get that desired effect. I think there’s a Megaphone effect in the HX stomp distortion list.
    edited July 2020
    Yes @builttospill ;;; the impedance matcher will be male xlr to jack socket and that can go into any channel. You could use the line in on a channel but as I said watch the input gain
    Great stuff! rather than buy a Shure bullet mic couldn’t I just use a dynamic mic like an SM58 or AKG D5 and use my HX Stomp in the Aux send? I could then use the HX stomps amp and cab sims as well as the distortions to get that desired effect. I think there’s a Megaphone effect in the HX stomp distortion list.
    Yes and you can use whatever mic you want, personally favour an SM58 for harps easier to cup it and blow and yes to the helix
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk