FS - 1981 Yamaha SG1000, the LP Killer - 40 year old stunner c/w all the trimmings

What's Hot
JGCJGC Frets: 92
edited April 11 in Guitars £
Superb example of a true vintage 1981 Yamaha SG1000, well deserving of its reputation as the "Les Paul Killer".

With a good setup, such as this one, you'd be hard pressed to find any guitar that plays as well with a slick low action....if that's not to your taste just raise the bridge !

What makes this one special for both a player and collector is that it comes with the original hard case, original truss rod tool, original polishing cloth, original leather strap and 3 original Yamaha brochures - I've never seen another that has everything with it.


The guitar is stock except for the strap buttons which have been replaced by Schaller straplocks, probably a good idea as the guitar weighs 4.2kgs/9.25ibs.

The top and neck are very clean with few marks, although the back has a few more marks and the lower bout has a number of marks where the guitar has clearly been in contact with some hard surfaces, having said that it's not bad really and there is no sign of any clouding to the finish which can be an issue with some Yamaha SGs. There are 3 small screw holes on the bottom, back and upper horn where a previous owner has tried different strap button placements - each to their own, I think Yamaha got it right with the original positioning, which is where the straplocks currently reside.







The pickups have push / push coil taps on the tone pots and the tone pots operate normally upto around number 9, roll up to 10 and it becomes a no load pot completely bypassing the tone pot and sending the full raw power of the pickup to the output - it's subtle but a really useful feature.

Collection, hand delivery or partway meet ( within reason ) from North Lincolnshire - £1250 by bank transfer

Hand Delivery or partway meet ( within reason ) - £1300 by bank transfer






1reaction image LOL 17reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
«13

Comments

  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 5244
    That is a beaut!
    How much does it weigh? & Does it play like butter?

    You can now read my insane guitar ramblings daily here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

    https://www.instagram.com/jefstone/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 1664
    Very nice....and friendly price too ...;-)


    Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 1638
    9.25lbs. That's lightweight for a Yamaha SG1000. Mines 11lbs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    jeztone2 said:
    9.25lbs. That's lightweight for a Yamaha SG1000. Mines 11lbs. 
    Wow, that's incredibly heavy, I though 9.25lbs was enough :-)  Didn't realise there could be that much variation ?


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 494
    Yeah these are historically mostly boat anchors! What a nice example in a time capsule!
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1486
    The SG1000/2000 are the best of the bunch - The 1800s are nowhere near the same quality and at a stupid price, which makes this a bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 1664
    My SG1500 from 1980,s is pretty good...


    Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 8813
    tFB Trader
    Mine is a 1978 - still has the tool kit with the 'pouch' plus the manual - but no brochure
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 1638
    JGC said:
    jeztone2 said:
    9.25lbs. That's lightweight for a Yamaha SG1000. Mines 11lbs. 
    Wow, that's incredibly heavy, I though 9.25lbs was enough :-)  Didn't realise there could be that much variation ?


    Yep. I did have one that was 12lbs a few years ago. 

    Thing is on a wide strap it feels no different to my Les Paul Classic which is 9 1/2lbs. Also it’s more ergonomic and sounds better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 123
    Used to own a SG1500 and still have a SA2000. These Yamaha’s are underrated and despite the attempts of one particular seller to corner the market, can still be picked up for very fair prices as this for sale post proves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 48
    That's gorgeous! Have a bump! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    Seems like the price is reasonable judging by the comments - no takers yet though...she's a player, I'd defy anyone to find better :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 1645
    JGC said:
    Seems like the price is reasonable judging by the comments - no takers yet though...she's a player, I'd defy anyone to find better :-)
    It's a funny one. I sold my 1980 SG1000 for a lot less (like half-ish your price) a few years ago, but a) it was a few years ago and b) I was 'passing on' a good price that I had got previously on the old MR forum.

    Mine also didn't have the original case or candy (I had the original case but chucked it out because it smelled like it had been used as an ashtray for much of it's 30-odd year life). It also had a stripped back neck too, which would clearly have affected value to the collector. Otherwise it was pretty bloody clean. Heavier than yours - at a shade over 10lbs. 

    I love them and don't think you've over-priced, given the lovely top and all the candy, but I still think that they remain a somewhat niche offering. Most LP fanbois will probably not buy the 'LP-killer' tag and SG lovers will flat-out refuse. The 2000s and 3000s with the brass sustain plate might get a bit more attention, I suppose. 

    They are fab, though, and yours is a particularly lovely example. I hope you find it a good home. GLWTS. 

    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder


    My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    McToot said:
    JGC said:
    Seems like the price is reasonable judging by the comments - no takers yet though...she's a player, I'd defy anyone to find better :-)
    It's a funny one. I sold my 1980 SG1000 for a lot less (like half-ish your price) a few years ago, but a) it was a few years ago and b) I was 'passing on' a good price that I had got previously on the old MR forum.

    Mine also didn't have the original case or candy (I had the original case but chucked it out because it smelled like it had been used as an ashtray for much of it's 30-odd year life). It also had a stripped back neck too, which would clearly have affected value to the collector. Otherwise it was pretty bloody clean. Heavier than yours - at a shade over 10lbs. 

    I love them and don't think you've over-priced, given the lovely top and all the candy, but I still think that they remain a somewhat niche offering. Most LP fanbois will probably not buy the 'LP-killer' tag and SG lovers will flat-out refuse. The 2000s and 3000s with the brass sustain plate might get a bit more attention, I suppose. 

    They are fab, though, and yours is a particularly lovely example. I hope you find it a good home. GLWTS. 

    I know what you mean, but the "LP Killer" tag has been around for a long long time, with much justification. I went to a store in 78 to buy an LP and walked out with a 2000...there was no comparison between the two at the time, the Yammy infinitely superior, but I think Gibson were going through a hard time QC wise then too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 1664
    I traded in a LP deluxe for the SG1500 back in the early 80,s




    Mac Mini i7, 2.3Ghz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 8813
    tFB Trader
    JGC said:
    McToot said:
    JGC said:
    Seems like the price is reasonable judging by the comments - no takers yet though...she's a player, I'd defy anyone to find better :-)
    It's a funny one. I sold my 1980 SG1000 for a lot less (like half-ish your price) a few years ago, but a) it was a few years ago and b) I was 'passing on' a good price that I had got previously on the old MR forum.

    Mine also didn't have the original case or candy (I had the original case but chucked it out because it smelled like it had been used as an ashtray for much of it's 30-odd year life). It also had a stripped back neck too, which would clearly have affected value to the collector. Otherwise it was pretty bloody clean. Heavier than yours - at a shade over 10lbs. 

    I love them and don't think you've over-priced, given the lovely top and all the candy, but I still think that they remain a somewhat niche offering. Most LP fanbois will probably not buy the 'LP-killer' tag and SG lovers will flat-out refuse. The 2000s and 3000s with the brass sustain plate might get a bit more attention, I suppose. 

    They are fab, though, and yours is a particularly lovely example. I hope you find it a good home. GLWTS. 

    I know what you mean, but the "LP Killer" tag has been around for a long long time, with much justification. I went to a store in 78 to buy an LP and walked out with a 2000...there was no comparison between the two at the time, the Yammy infinitely superior, but I think Gibson were going through a hard time QC wise then too. 
    You must be a similar age to me - I brought my SG in 1978 because at the time, IMO, it destroyed any LP that was also available for me to buy or try - And I still own it today
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    JGC said:
    McToot said:
    JGC said:
    Seems like the price is reasonable judging by the comments - no takers yet though...she's a player, I'd defy anyone to find better :-)
    It's a funny one. I sold my 1980 SG1000 for a lot less (like half-ish your price) a few years ago, but a) it was a few years ago and b) I was 'passing on' a good price that I had got previously on the old MR forum.

    Mine also didn't have the original case or candy (I had the original case but chucked it out because it smelled like it had been used as an ashtray for much of it's 30-odd year life). It also had a stripped back neck too, which would clearly have affected value to the collector. Otherwise it was pretty bloody clean. Heavier than yours - at a shade over 10lbs. 

    I love them and don't think you've over-priced, given the lovely top and all the candy, but I still think that they remain a somewhat niche offering. Most LP fanbois will probably not buy the 'LP-killer' tag and SG lovers will flat-out refuse. The 2000s and 3000s with the brass sustain plate might get a bit more attention, I suppose. 

    They are fab, though, and yours is a particularly lovely example. I hope you find it a good home. GLWTS. 

    I know what you mean, but the "LP Killer" tag has been around for a long long time, with much justification. I went to a store in 78 to buy an LP and walked out with a 2000...there was no comparison between the two at the time, the Yammy infinitely superior, but I think Gibson were going through a hard time QC wise then too. 
    You must be a similar age to me - I brought my SG in 1978 because at the time, IMO, it destroyed any LP that was also available for me to buy or try - And I still own it today

    Agreed, that says it all really, if it goes I'll be sorry but can't hang on to everything, need to thin the herd and play more !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    refresh

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    Sunday refresher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    superb LP Killer for grabs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    proper vintage LP killer here, not some modern Gibson with cheapo components....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    ttt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    and again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    serious player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    mid week bump
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    edited August 2020
    weekend options - £50 off !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    another week
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    why not....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JGCJGC Frets: 92
    edited November 2020
    it's a new week - very close offers considered
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.