First bass guitar Squier - Jazz vs. Jag

What's Hot
cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
Inspired by Leland Sklar's new Youtube channel, I'm thinking about getting my first bass guitar and learning some Genesis and Tot bass lines.

I'm looking at the Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar Bass which is available in 34" or 32" scale length, or a Squier Jazz bass. What do people think about these models, and would the scale length make much of a difference to sound and playability?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Squier Classic Vibe range series is brilliant, my personal favourite is the '70s Precision. Black with a Maple neck and block inlays, it has that real Roger Waters, Geddy Lee vibe! 

The Jaguar is very cool, I prefer offsets with a shorter scale length but I think that's because I treat them more like guitars than traditional basses when I'm playing them, I like the comfort and I don't think they offer the same kind of low end punch.

If you're playing Sklar lines you'll probably want the 34", his signature Warwick Star bass is 34" and his Dingwall is 34"-37". Either model would be great, for a first bass they are both sound options!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23916
    Quality of build is more important that scale length. 
    Best low B (and A) I ever heard was on a 34 scale Marleaux Consat Custom. ok - it's £3K to £4K bass depending on options but if it's built right scale length is a lot less important than people think.

One factor to consider is string choice. Loads available for 34 scale, quite a lot for 30 scale (short scale) but relatively few choices for 32 inch medium scale.

Warwick Black Labels are excellent, La Bella make good ones, D'addario make them too (although not in a 5 string) and of course Newtone will make strings to any scale you need.

If you like the feel of 32 inch scale then do give the Ibanez Mezzo a try too.

I have owned many silly money basses (Zon, Status, Marleaux etc) and I recently bought a 32 scale 5 string Ibanez Mezzo and I'm blown away by it. It was under £300 and it's amazing. Great sound, excellent fretwork, and most surprising for a cheap bass - the low B is as good as my Stingray 5.

I've no reason to think the 4 string wouldn't be just as good. And it's really light if that is important to you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The current, Indonesian-made, Squier CV instruments are a rebadging of the old Vintage Modified series (and the Standard Series before that).

Ten years ago, the no brainer choice was the Squier VM Jazz Bass with the maple fingerboard,black inlays, black binding and Duncan Designed JB-101 pickups.

Nowadays, Squier offers too many options to make the decision easy. 

For most applications, the smart choice is something with one noise-cancelling pickup and no other nonsense. Of the two OP suggestions, the Jaguar Bass has the advantage of a P-style pickup.

The best bargains are the unfashionable and/or discontinued models. e.g. The Jaguar Bass H with its single humbucker and active EQ or the lumpen but functional Dimension Bass.
    Be seeing you.
  • cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
    @fretmeister I had no idea about different string lengths, so thanks for enlightening me.
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    I have a Squier Jazz, a long scale Jaguar and a short scale Jaguar. The Jazz and the long scale Jag feel almost identical to play but the Jag has Two MusicMan pick ups, so it obviously sounds different.
    I've only had the Squier Jazz for about a week but I'm am pleasantly surprised by the difference between neck and bridge pickups...the bridge pup gives the tone you would expect but the neck pup is much fuller than I expected.. Not much les than a 'P' pup. 
    The Vintage Modified SS Jaguar has P/J pick ups and has loads of versatility but much looser strings. Much easier to play for someone making the transition from guitar to Bass. 
  • cgumtreecgumtree Frets: 35
    Thanks @PeachGuitarsRyan. I’ve ordered a Squier classic vibe 60s jazz bass from Peach. Arriving on Tuesday. Can’t wait!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11412
    Of the two you mentioned, I'd go for the Jaguar as it has a P pickup in the neck position.  You want that sound.

Alternatively, just get a P bass.
  • cgumtree said:
    Thanks @PeachGuitarsRyan. I’ve ordered a Squier classic vibe 60s jazz bass from Peach. Arriving on Tuesday. Can’t wait!
    Fantastic, great choice! Hope you love it!
  • Not sure about current production but I played vintage white Squier CV jazz bass from when that line started and it was trully fantastic bass, especially for the price. It was definitely at least one step above my Squier Vintage Modified JB (all maple body, maple neck and fretboard, duncan designed pickups) I had at that time. If new models are anywhere close to this, it's still worth every penny. Haven't touched them though.