thumb picks

i have started dabbling with finger picking on my acoustic and are really enjoying the type of sound i can produce. just wondering whether to introduce a thumb pick into the mix or not
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I did this -- be warned that it's a fairly long learning curve, or was for me -- but the results in the end are well worth it. Now when I hear bass notes played with the thumb they sound muddy and soft in comparison.
  • cheers 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    I have just bought a Black Mountain spring loaded thumb pick which I will be trying out as a relative newbie. I find thumb picks quite comfortable but struggle to find one which sits still without moving around a bit so thought I would try the Black Mountain one out. Will report back with my thoughts.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    For anyone starting out with a thumb pick I recommend the Herco Flat Thumb Picks:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/picks-plectrums-c50/thumb-picks-c409/herco-flat-thumb-pick-heavy-3-pack-p10853?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjd3q1cvh6gIVD-ztCh3t_gqYEAUYASABEgIGM_D_BwE

As a mid way between a plectrum and a thumb pick they are easy to adapt to. They come in light, medium and heavy gauges but I suggest heavy. To stop thumb picks turning while you are playing just moisten your thumb before putting them on.
    I have just bought a Black Mountain spring loaded thumb pick which I will be trying out as a relative newbie. I find thumb picks quite comfortable but struggle to find one which sits still without moving around a bit so thought I would try the Black Mountain one out. Will report back with my thoughts.
    Just to reply to my own post. I find the Black Mountain pick too thick for my own liking as it comes only in one thickness of somewhere between 1mm and 1.5mm. My own preference with picks is in the 0.7 to 0.9 range. 
  • Cheers 
    Jimbro66 said:
    For anyone starting out with a thumb pick I recommend the Herco Flat Thumb Picks:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/picks-plectrums-c50/thumb-picks-c409/herco-flat-thumb-pick-heavy-3-pack-p10853?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjd3q1cvh6gIVD-ztCh3t_gqYEAUYASABEgIGM_D_BwE

As a mid way between a plectrum and a thumb pick they are easy to adapt to. They come in light, medium and heavy gauges but I suggest heavy. To stop thumb picks turning while you are playing just moisten your thumb before putting them on.
    I have tried these and they are decent. The heavy one is a bit too loud and,well heavy for my own uses and I prefer a medium in the same design.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I use the Fred Kelly Bumblebee thumbpicks. They are basically like having a medium plectrum attached to your thumb. Almost all the other ones I've tried have either been too thick or too long or both.