Trumpet anyone?

What's Hot
Still have a burning desire to learn the trumpet despite the fact that I live in a residential neighbourhood amongst other humans. My skill level is such that I can make an embouchure and produce a sound - but not much else. I can already play a bit of saxophone but it’s been a long time since... not sure if it has much or anything in common with that.  

My son’s primary school has a brass programme that he’ll be growing into in a couple years. Would be cool to know some basics ahead of time and share a bit of that journey. 

What do I look for in a trumpet? New or used? At what price does diminishing returns kick in and what am I getting for extra cash?

I know they can sound decent and are cheap but I don’t want a plastic one - must have a fairly classic look. 

Any thoughts welcome. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15957
    It wasn't me!
    tae be or not tae be
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Buy a plastic one for about £120, seriously good for a beginner.

payed one in the posh music shop in Manchester a couple years back and was astonished.  Gigging trumpeters use them for their midweek pub gigs.

If you carry it on, then you can spend hundreds and hundreds - just like guitars
    except they all look the same

although you can get silver ones and that sort of pinkish brass colour that I can’t remember it’s name 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    @merlin plays a number of wind instruments IIRC?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I was going to say the plastic one - having had a similar conversation with a very good trumperterist that was the outcome: they are better at that price point than more traditional ones. 

I have a friend who is a music teacher and can get a tune out of most things although the trumpet largely defeated him. So, not easy I guess. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Whitecat said:
    I can already play a bit of saxophone but it’s been a long time since... not sure if it has much or anything in common with that. 
    Not really. Note pitches are achieved differently on trumpet.

sev112 said:
    Buy a plastic one for about £120, seriously good for a beginner.
    Split the difference. Build on your existing woodwind experience by trying a MIDI Controller instrument. Casio, Roland and Yamaha all make them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stratcatstratcat Frets: 46
    I went through music college as a brass player (tuba) and have taught all brass instruments to kids in high school.
    I'd recommend a ptrumpet too but if you are set on brass then I'd suggest a Yamaha. They make great instruments. A couple of hundred quid should get you a fab trumpet.
    When buying 2nd hand look for dents, make sure the valve and tuning slides all move and that the valves feel free with no sticking and that the valve caps can be loosened. There isn't much to go wrong with them as long as they've been looked after. 
    Give it a bath in hand warm water and washing up liquid once a month, buy a pull through to clean it out.

Find your local brass band, wind band or big band. They'll probably have someone who'll give a bit of tuition and you will progress so much faster playing with others.
    Don't be shy, from what I can tell there is a burgeoning scene of adult beginners in these bands.
    Let me know if I can help more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Thanks everyone for their thoughts! Perhaps I shouldn't be so quick to rule out the plastic jobbies...

Gonna park this idea over the summer holidays but revisit in the autumn if I'm lucky... and if the wife ever goes back into the office, as that's currently a problem for me as a learner. :)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    Whitecat said:

Gonna park this idea over the summer holidays but revisit in the autumn if I'm lucky... and if the wife ever goes back into the office, as that's currently a problem for me as a learner. :)
    Surely it's more of a problem for her?  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385

Make sure you get effective mutes with whatever you choose ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:

Surely it's more of a problem for her?  =)
    You see I TRIED to spin it that way...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    bumping this, been listening to a lot of hot jazz/ tuba skinny type stuff and it's wakened my desire for the trumpet/cornet. Was wondering how the OP got on.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    bumping this, been listening to a lot of hot jazz/ tuba skinny type stuff and it's wakened my desire for the trumpet/cornet. Was wondering how the OP got on.
    Welp I'm afraid the can is still being kicked... wife has been given indefinite WFH orders from her office, so unless I can fully soundproof my studio room I think I'm gonna have to wait a while longer! It's still a couple years before my son begins mandatory brass at school... when that happens at least I'll have a better excuse, but I wanted to get ahead a little first. :)
    Whitecat said:
    VimFuego said:
    Welp I'm afraid the can is still being kicked... wife has been given indefinite WFH orders from her office, so unless I can fully soundproof my studio room I think I'm gonna have to wait a while longer! It's still a couple years before my son begins mandatory brass at school... when that happens at least I'll have a better excuse, but I wanted to get ahead a little first. :)
    probably just as well, had a look on the john packer website and they were sold out of those plastic trumpets with a note saying due to covid they don't know when they'll get any in. 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    You have no excuse. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I mixed a couple of small pub gigs that had trumpets in the band.
    The rest of the band went through the PA, the trumpet didn't and was louder than everything else.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    octatonic said:
    I mixed a couple of small pub gigs that had trumpets in the band.
    The rest of the band went through the PA, the trumpet didn't and was louder than everything else.
    See ?  Told you they were noisy bastards ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    VimFuego said:
    Whitecat said:
    VimFuego said:
    probably just as well, had a look on the john packer website and they were sold out of those plastic trumpets with a note saying due to covid they don't know when they'll get any in. 
    Must be a supply rather than demand thing as brass programmes at schools are all currently suspended...
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    My suggestion is if you must buy a Trumpet buy a used one, I sold my Boosey & Hawkes for very modest money a couple of years ago. I didn't mind as I hadn't used it for years and the chap wanted it as a gift to his son, allegedly. He even brought a trumpet-playing friend with him, who when asked is it any good?, said: "its a nice instrument, buy it!"

Having started in a brass band playing Cornet and Fluegelhorn I have to say that the trumpet is the more difficult instrument to master but seems to be de regueur for orchestral and big band. To my ear the Flugelhorn the nicest sounding.

Nothing like playing the sax btw   :0)

merlin said:
    You have no excuse. 

that actually looks really good, I am even more tempted now. Have to have a hunt around, see if I can find anyone with a plastic trumpet in stock.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6673
    VimFuego said:
    merlin said:
    You have no excuse. 

that actually looks really good, I am even more tempted now. Have to have a hunt around, see if I can find anyone with a plastic trumpet in stock.
    Go for it. I don't think a plastic trumpet will be noticeably quieter though...