Jack Charlton

DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
edited July 2020 in Tributes
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Ah, sad to hear that...

Great big honesr character, and Im grateful for his life.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    Norman, Trevor and now Jack, all within a few weeks of each other - 773 club appearances - Just doesn't happen these days

I wonder who now looks after his little black book

I went to his testimonial match in 1973 v Celtic and a saw him at a speakers night some while ago

Great character - Big legend - Big loss - RIP big fella and thanks for so many wonderful memories
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    One of the great characters of the sport. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Some time around the end of his playing career Jack did a football skills programme for kids. My abiding memory is of him getting a football square in the half-backs and almost keeling over.

When Sir Alf picked him for England he asked why, there were better players than him around. "Yes, Jack, but you are the best player for my team," said sir Alf.

And he was.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    I remember him being interviewed years ago and the commentator said that Jack had been a fantastic footballer. Jack corrected him immediately - he said:

'No, I wasn't a good footballer. But I was quite good at stopping other people playing football'.

Brilliant. A legend in a world where the word is often overused.

Fitting tribute if Leeds finally do get back up, as looks increasingly likely.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis