how to find local guitar lessons

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
before lock down I was looking to get some lessons. there is a music school in the town but they were fully booked so got pt on the waiting list.

now restrictions are becoming more relaxed I hope to find somewhere local I can get lessons. is there a particular website that is a good resource for finding local teachers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 77ric77ric Frets: 539
    Do you have a local guitar store? I’d hazard a guess that they are likely to know who all the local guitar teachers are. 
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    77ric said:
    Do you have a local guitar store? I’d hazard a guess that they are likely to know who all the local guitar teachers are. 

No local guitar shop. :/
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 660
    Have a look online at the Registry of guitar tutors.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited July 2020
    Tell us where you live, we might know some good ones!

edit: Northern Ireland - sorry, can’t help you there!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Tell us where you live, we might know some good ones!

edit: Northern Ireland - sorry, can’t help you there!

Yes I live in Lisburn if anyone has some recommendations 
    I managed to book a lesson for next monday and I am now very much looking forward to it
    I had my first lesson this week and I have to say it was well worth going. I was stuck in a rut trying to teach myself but in that first lesson they guy spotted some problems with my technique and I have already improved (a little) and more importantly I can see a pathway forward rather than just repeating the same mistakes which was what I was doing
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    phil_b said:
    I had my first lesson this week and I have to say it was well worth going. I was stuck in a rut trying to teach myself but in that first lesson they guy spotted some problems with my technique and I have already improved (a little) and more importantly I can see a pathway forward rather than just repeating the same mistakes which was what I was doing
    This is exactly what a good tutor should be doing. And planning a path for you to get better and progress at a good pace.

Also challenging you to play new material and styles that you don't normally do is good instead of playing the same old stuff for years. It will help you apply rhythm, harmony and melody across genres as its universal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratcatstratcat Frets: 46
    phil_b said:
    This is exactly what a good tutor should be doing. And planning a path for you to get better and progress at a good pace.

Also challenging you to play new material and styles that you don't normally do is good instead of playing the same old stuff for years. It will help you apply rhythm, harmony and melody across genres as its universal.
    In a nutshell!