NPD: Ground-Breaking, Game-Changing - THE Best Pedal Made Thus Far ???

What's Hot

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    im off to buy it again
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5529
    @RaymondLin its that's good fo so
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    Based on the TPS vid I'd get the OD200 and spend the rest on another guitar :)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10087
    pmg said:
    I have, and it’s the first video where the sound they got from it that I thought “damn, that’s good”.
    ;)
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    pmg said:
    I have, and it’s the first video where the sound they got from it that I thought “damn, that’s good”.
    Will watch it tomorrow morning
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:

I'm basically where Mick is with complicated pedals.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8624
    TTBZ said:
    I’d spend it on having your ears cleaned. I’m only 15 minutes in but by god that OD200 sounds awful - loads of settings and they all make your boutique amp sound like a metal zone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    TTBZ said:
    I’d spend it on having your ears cleaned. I’m only 15 minutes in but by god that OD200 sounds awful - loads of settings and they all make your boutique amp sound like a metal zone.

I haven't watched it but the DS-1X is awesome.

Check out Pete Thorns video.
    dindude said:
    TTBZ said:
    Bang on - I’ve said this on another thread, the OD200 was propa cack when I tried it. Depends on your musical goals I guess...

Each to his own 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7215
    dindude said:
    TTBZ said:
    In fairness they made literally zero effort to make it sound nice. I'm sure it's no Automatone but I imagine spending 10mins with it - and they spent a shitload of time with the AT, not just on the show but even already having programmed presets on it beforehand - would have yielded much better tones. 

It was purely there to be the whipping boy. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1432
    pmg said:
    They seem like cool guys, they know how to demo stuff, the sound quality and production values are some of the best out there in internet-land ... but I just do not like their playing - too much blues fusion noodling for me.

I tried listening to the podcast version of the Automatone episode and had to stop ten minutes in as it was hurting my brain. To each their own I guess.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    soma1975 said:
    dindude said:
    TTBZ said:
    In fairness they made literally zero effort to make it sound nice. I'm sure it's no Automatone but I imagine spending 10mins with it - and they spent a shitload of time with the AT, not just on the show but even already having programmed presets on it beforehand - would have yielded much better tones. 

As much as the TPS guys like BOSS secretly , I'd agree that they need a "bottom line" to make silly faces over the others . 

• mattdavismattdavis Frets: 856
    Just watched it - I think they had pretty much set out their stall from minute 1 that the Boss was going to sound cack. 
    They seem like nice guys, and I enjoy watching the shows superficially, but I definitely don’t watch it for unbiased reviews of gear. To be fair they don’t hide their preconceptions and biases (although I do think the whole ‘preferred retailers’ thing is a little odd) but valid A/B comparisons they are not.  
    The Automatone did sound good but form factor is not for me. Did like the Chase Bliss Bros quite a lot and that Golden Boy looks and sounds really cool. 
    tFB Trader
    I think it's really funny that they firmly believe that the MD-500 RV-500 and DD-500 are good pedals, but if you combine them into a GT-1000 they sound bad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8060
    The fact that they use ribbon mics on the amps makes it harder for us to hear what they are hearing in the room IMO
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    The tps is usually fine to have on in the background with occasionally useful reviews and details but that' wasn't a particularly useful show for me.   Whenever they have a pedal they aren't confident with I find it frustrating and it was no surprise the automatone sounded better, with the same amount of effort I would suggest all the pedals on todays show would sound good and it comes down to which one you prefer the controls on.   
    My main take from that show was it's a lot of money of motorised faders but it looks good and it sounds good but so do plenty of other pedals. 
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2250
    Not sure I get the point of the Boss pedal. Surely if youre going that way, you might as well go the full hog and go digital. 

The Automonome or whatever it's called, sounded like the same pedal to me, but with the EQ altered, and an additional fuzz mode. I thought it sounded really good, but I guess the reason someone would buy this over a Benson Preamp and an EQ pedal is the ability to switch between presets. The question is, when/have you ever needed that capability? 

Looks and sounds great. If you can why not.  
    edited August 2020
    soma1975 said:
    dindude said:
    TTBZ said:
    Based on the TPS vid I'd get the OD200 and spend the rest on another guitar

It’s a strange logic there... out of the box the CBAP sounded good, but you have to work on the Boss.

The Automatone comes with 10 presets which it looks like Dan went through.... 

Listen guys, if you like those Boss tones and they work for you/your band/your music, that is great ! A cheaper more robust alternative is yours.

However, if you dont like those generic Boss tones, you have to look elsewhere.

But, you can see the shock on Micks face when he waxes about the Automatone (see my similar feel in the first entry in this thread !)

The Automatone is superior to the Boss (amd other imho) in terms of sound, tone, inspiration, feel, usability, ease of use, quality. Full stop.

Is it worth £749 ?! A incredible amount of money...

Only you can decide, and thats ok.

For me, the CBAP is a wonderful thing to own.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    edited August 2020
    Have you had the CB brothers or condor, @Wazmeister ;
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    They mentioned what I also feel though I.e. that price tag. One could buy several astonishingly good pedals to get those tones for the same price. And that it could break with those sliders if gigged a lot etc. As mentioned before I’m not the target audience 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/