planing the facing edges of a 2 piece body?

Any advice on how to go about it? 

I bought a body blank in 2 pieces, as I usually do, but this one hasn't been planed on the edges (which they always have been in the past for me). 

Is there an intelligent process to getting a good fit between the two pieces? I had a bit of an internet skim but wasn't finding anything useful. I am no master of the plane!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    Have you got a router? Clamp a straight edge to the blank then run a router with a long straight bit along it to skim the wavy edge.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    Just came across this on Youtube:

• The best way is with a long plane (I use a Stanley number 7). Not for nothing are these called jointing planes.  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    crunchman said:
    Just came across this on Youtube:

Perfect! exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Good old Mark Bailey!
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    The best way is with a long plane (I use a Stanley number 7). Not for nothing are these called jointing planes.  
    As it isn't very long you could probably get away with a 4/5 tbh. Especially if you clamp both pieces together and do them at the same time - any discrepancies will be taken up by the other half and you'll get a level joint.
    Take a look at Paul Sellers videos about jointing on youtube, if you have an interest in woodworking and haven't come across them yet they are great.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    Yes, I jointed the London plane top for my recent build using a Stanley No.4 which worked fine.