Yamaha PA - what's it worth?

HaychHaych Frets: 5594
I have quite an old, but still very good, Yamaha PA system, split between my house and my parent's house.

My folks want rid of what's at their house and I have no room for it at mine so think it's time to move it on, but I have no idea what to ask for it, so before I possibly drop an ad in the classifieds section could I have some input on what a realistic asking price might be please?

The main components are:
  • Yamaha EMX640 powered mixer
  • 2 X 15"/horn main speakers
  • 2 X 10"/horn speakers, which we used as stage monitors.
I might have a couple of stands for the FOH speakers but they weren't all that sturdy.

All of it is in excellent condition apart from one of the 10" monitors which was purchased as shop soiled as a hot lamp had fallen onto it and melted through the carpet covering.  The damage isn't even that terrible but worth mentioning.

We always had many compliments on the sound quality whenever we played a gig, even from sound engineers.

Pictures at the moment will be difficult as it's split between two locations and the stuff I have is tucked away.

If those a bit more clued up on these things can offer advice on a realistic value that'd be great.

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    A few hundred quid.  Why not find some storage ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I’d put it around 300 or so, maybe a little more.   It’s try ads around 500 and see if anyone bites. 
    But I wouldn’t think it’s a good time to be selling PA gear unless someone wants it for rehearsing so I’d agree about findjbg somewhere to store it if you like the setup and sound.  
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I'd have to say - probably not all that much.

There's an EMX640 on ebay at the moment (in shabby condition) asking £110 but no bids (which is hardly surprising).

Your problem is that for some time the trend has been towards powered cabs, and there's a lot of choice out there, plus digital desks are becoming very cheap (especially if you already have a laptop or an iPad).

The other factor is, of course, that people aren't gigging (or even rehearsing) right now.

Good luck with it, it's always good if old kit can find a new home.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5594
    I do appreciate it’s not a great time to be selling Pa stuff. Bit of a bummer. 

I wouldn’t choose to sell except the olds want it gone as they have the two 15” cabs at theirs and they want the space back. 

Finding storage for it all is a bit of a sore point especially if I have to pay. First of all out of sight out of mind, once it’s in storage there’s no impetus to do anything with it and if paying for storage space, even if it’s small change, still adds up over time. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Not much unfortunately - even when there were gigs, the trend is to lightweight powered cabs and digital desks as Musicwolf said. You might find a rehearsal room that needs older more basic gear, but they probably won't want to pay much.

I'd be surprised if you'd get more than about £250 for the lot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Why not try and sell the 1x15 cabs and take whatever you get. Keep the 1x10s and little mixer amp. That way you have an instant small PA to gig or rehearse with or extra independent monitor mix at no cost.
    If you really need to go bigger again later, you could buy bigger used boxes or even modern powered lightweight stuff for reasonable money.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Haych said:
    I do appreciate it’s not a great time to be selling Pa stuff. Bit of a bummer. 

I wouldn’t choose to sell except the olds want it gone as they have the two 15” cabs at theirs and they want the space back. 

Finding storage for it all is a bit of a sore point especially if I have to pay. First of all out of sight out of mind, once it’s in storage there’s no impetus to do anything with it and if paying for storage space, even if it’s small change, still adds up over time. 
    Of course if there's no prospect of gigging again, get shot of it for whatever you can - Reverb will let you know what they've gone for recently.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 403
    When I was a school governor I would get regular calls saying "It's packed up again!".  I labelled the leads, laminated instructions and stuck them on the wall right above it.  There was a slight drop in the calls but I should have just put a fence around it.  They  are evidently pretty tough electronically to take all that abuse without dying.
    edited August 2020
    It sold for £300 in the end.  I did have some higher offers but they came from the uncommitted and one with a massive chip on his shoulder.

Don't think I did too bad in the end and the buyer is a total gent who only lives a few miles away.  When he came to collect it he forgot a few bits so I drove them over to his place last night.  While it's sad to see it go - lots of fond memories associated with gigging with it - I'm pleased it's gone to a good home.

Good result.

I should probably do something with the pair of giant 1970s Peavey PA cabs in my store room, but they're worth absolutely nothing to sell and too cool to just bin... I was hoping to use them at an outdoor gig this summer, but that's obviously a non-starter now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I'd like to say I have fond memories of the Martin W bins and Phillishave mids I used in the 80s, but I don't - they were heavy!

R.
    I'd like to say I have fond memories of the Martin W bins and Phillishave mids I used in the 80s, but I don't - they were heavy!
    The Peaveys weigh 93lb each, are more than 2 ft wide and almost 3 ft high, and handle an awesome 100W per cab :). So they're worthless, because no-one in their right mind would buy cabinets that massive with that low power handling now... but they actually sound wonderful in a nostalgic sort of way and are astoundingly loud with only 200W going through them.

I was half-tempted to upgrade them with some modern high-power neodymium drivers, but they'd still be huge and weigh nearly 90lb, so it would be throwing good money after bad really. But they don't actually owe me anything simply sitting there - I acquired them for free when a friend was taking them to the dump and asked if I wanted them, and for some stupid reason I couldn't resist...

The 15s were quite heavy but not too bad unless you were lugging them over long distances or going up and down stairs with them. 

I used a fold away sack truck for moving them any distance and the only dodgy time with them was when we played a gig at a local rugby club and had to lug all the gear up a flight of steel checker plate exterior stairs in the wet. They’d been painted gloss black to boot so was like ice. 

I used to drive a B3 VW Passat wagon and loading it was a bit like a cross between the Krypton Factor and Tetris but I could get all the gear apart from the main drum kit in the car - PA, guitar amps, bass amp, all the guitars, stands, leads and even some of the drum stuff like cymbals and stands - and still have room for a passenger. It all had to be loaded in a certain order or it wouldn’t go in. 

Unfortunately, because most of the stuff belonged to my sister and me (little sis was the bassist) we had to do the majority of the loading and unloading. At the end of the night and sometimes after a long drive home it all had to be taken out the car again. I’m sure there were a few times when we just took the guitars in and left the rest for the following morning. 

Not sure 3ft x 2ft cabinets would have been as easy to load or lug about. Quite glad not to have had kit quite that big and heavy. I wouldn’t have made a very good roadie!

Haych said:

I used to drive a B3 VW Passat wagon and loading it was a bit like a cross between the Krypton Factor and Tetris but I could get all the gear apart from the main drum kit in the car - PA, guitar amps, bass amp, all the guitars, stands, leads and even some of the drum stuff like cymbals and stands - and still have room for a passenger. It all had to be loaded in a certain order or it wouldn’t go in.
    I have the same sort of memories of gigging with a Citroën BX estate, and then a Xantia - the Xantia was slightly bigger, but with a narrower tailgate and a more awkward shape inside, so it was even more of a Krypton Factor challenge to load it. But the self-levelling hydraulic suspension was fantastic, since you couldn't tell how overloaded they were! I was once stopped by the police when I was in the BX after a gig - I thought they'd seen me pull away extremely slowly because the kick drum case was on the front passenger seat as well as the rest of it being literally full to the roof, and I couldn't get it into either first or second gear - third was the lowest available! But I'd just forgotten to put the lights on...