Lacquer help...Anyone take on my guitar body repair?

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
edited July 2020 in Making & Modding
My vintage natural coloured '59 Reissue Gibson 335 has a small area 3cm x 1cm area needing lacquer colour matching.
I have tried very hard, but can't get a matching but my attempts looks a rubbish colour and on such an amazing instrument like this...it's AARRGGHH!!!  Embarrassing photo , but given up and need professional help!!  This was April, and it's July!

Is anyone taking on small repairs like this?
I am a fussy bugger and really want to get it back to original colour/to hide the repair.

I am based near Chester...North West England, but will travel

Anyone here...?

Thanks Jon

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    I can't quite make out where the damage is, upper rear of forearm, or lower jackplate area?
    If I were you, I would learn to live with it, maybe it could be better, but it will probably be an expensive job to attempt a satisfactory job. The fact that it covers the joint between the binding and the side will mean either a drop fill, which seems to be what you have attempted, or a more intrusive blending over a larger area. This runs the risk of making the damage appear bigger.
    It looks like you have used something like nail polish, maybe to fill, and this can work well, it will need time to sink, and it can be built up and then rubbed back to blend in better. 
    Gibson lacquer is mostly nitro based on these models, and nail polish can be compatible, however there could be tints added to both base and final coats which make the match difficult.
    I am sure there are good people out there to do this job for you, but the exercise will be costly.
    good luck whatever you do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14800
    Given that Steve Robinson is not currently accepting work like this, there must be somebody whom Steve recommends in the Manchista area.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 398
    edited July 2020
    Thanks guys, Steve has taken a gander and as others have said, it's a difficult match.
    I will try again a mixing a light light stain.
    Cheers all...jon
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom